Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combining different models of cabinets (12s) to good effect

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Dec 19, 2002.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    It's no secret that many players have combined differect cabinets (e.g., a 15 and 2 10's), both driven full range to take advantage of the sonic properties of both.
    12's are hot these days and it's easy to see why,
    They definitely seem to fill the sonic gap between 15s and 10s and imho, are more versitile than either.
    I got a bagend 112 about 4 months ago, even though the cab is somewhat one-dimensional, i like the sound.
    Even though it was not my 1st choice, i got an aguilar 112 about a moth ago as part of a large trade at the last pa guitar show.
    since then these two cabs have been my main rig.
    The aguilar has great highs and lows, but really lacks mids.
    The bagend on the other hand is a mid range monster.
    Using my stereo power amp i can dial in as much of each cab as i want to affect my tone...a wonderful sound.
    anyone else have some fave combinations or comments?

2. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not yet, but I plan on using a 1-12 or 2-12 cab with my Eden 210 XST if I cant find another once I have the money for another cab.

Peace
    Nick

4. My Peavey Basic 50 has a 12" speaker and she sounds good.

I haven't tried any 12" combo-type cabs yet...

But, ya never know with Santa coming and room on my Visa...

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I have a G-K MB-150S combo,with its self-contained 12" G-K driver.
    I use it with one of two 12" cabs-
    A Genz-Benz 112T- PUNCH! The dual front-ports and the tweeter make this thing very aggro and solid-It cuts thru a mix like an x-acto knife.
    OR:
    I use a FLITE 112MH- a very lightweight (26 lb.)
    cabinet with an Eminence 12" and an attenuated 5" driver rather than a horn-Nice and smooth- a darker tone that I like for either Motown-type chunky R&B or for a nice smooth jazz bassline.

Now I used to call this my small-room, small-gig set-up, and it is. But putting out a full 150 RMS @ 4 ohms with the two speakers, this unit is actually quite LOUD and I can keep up with all but the most extreme volume situations, which I rarely indulge in any way!
    I have experienced a lot of shocked faces when I carry this unit in, G-K in it's gigbag over one shoulder, bass over the other, and hand -carrying the small 12" cab. Plug & Play, the expressions-priceless!
    I would recommend the MicroBass with another 12"
    unequivocally!!:cool:

6. So IvanMike... have you tried that BE/Aggie combo with a 5 string?

I haven't considered the BE 'cause I assumed it would fart-out with a 5er (don't remember where I got that thought from).

Anyway I'm STILL trying to raise the cash to get a second cab. My top runners are a second Aggie, a Bergantino, an Epifani or an older EA VL-110. Should I be adding Bag End to my list?

7. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a pair each of Bergantino and Epifani 1x12s.

A pair of Bergantinos has a very smooth sound; a pair of Epifanis is deep and loud.

Lately, I like the sound of a combination of one of each, sort of gets the best of both, smooth plus deep.

You need a fairly big amp to get the best out of these speakers, I use a bridged Stewart World 1.2.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sounds like you've found it.

I had a very similar experience: a few years ago I wound up running an Ampeg rear-ported 2x10 on top of a Mesa/Boogie front-ported EV-loaded 2x10. The Ampeg had really nice growl, and the MB had wider range on top and bottom. Both of them together sounded much better than each individually. The Mesa was more efficient than the Ampeg, so I had to compensate somewhat with each channel of my amp, but when blended equally I got nice lows, mids, and highs.

I love 12" speakers... my Berg HT212 has more depth than 10" (and as much depth as I need), but still doesn't have the quick/punchy response of 10" arrays. Not everyone desires that quickness, and the darker tone of the 12" seems to work especially well for old-school blues/R&B. But as a long-time 10" user I'd love to try a Berg HT322 (two 10", one 12"), to see if it provides the best of both worlds in one cabinet.

9. The 322 retains alot of the darkness of the 12'er; dont ask me why -as it is only 1x 12". IT is an amazing cab, but it does seem to have that low mid-bass hump that is most suitable in a rock environment. It bridges the gap beautifully for those looking for a clean cab thats has some color. I hope that makes sense.:)

You should definetly check one out tho, it really is a beautanimous sounding monster!

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I second that sobie....I've had a Peavey Basic 60 combo for about 14 years...that thing has never let me down and I really love the sound of a good 12. I recently played through the new SWR 4x12 cabinet and it was amazing. A stack of those would be incredible with the right power pushing them. I can't see needing anything else when you have a stack of 12's.

11. ZZMorgan

ZZMorgan

Sep 6, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I use a Tech Soundsystems compact 4X12 with a tweeter. I love the sound of the 12s; very punchy in the low mids, while at the same time getting a warm sound for soft jobs. I use it essentially as a stage monitor, since I usually play through the house systems. But it does the job by itself in smaller venues.

ZZ

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here goes............
    i have played the bagend by itself with a 5 and i seem to remember that you had to be a little judicious pushing the low end as it could get the cab to distort..
    but every once in a while i read about a guy using a bag 212 for 5 string so go figure........
    my two cents on bergs and epis are as follows
    i got to demo berg 212 and 112 cabs and was knocked out by the focus of the 112 and was generally dissapointed in how tubby and slow the 212 sounded
    fyi, when the dealer i went to mentioned this to berg they tried the two 112 cab combination and loved it
    i didnt get to try the berg 212 against an epi 212 but when i demo'd the epi i found it to be much more musical and probably think it is the best cab i have heard overall
    all comes down to cabinet design.............
    i have heard the berg 210 and 310 and found them to be very nice (as are the epi cabs of the same description)
    good chance that the darker tone of the berg 210+12 could all be a matter of different cabinet design
    who knows?
    fyi, berg 112s, epi112s and epi 212s are all on my wish list so any xmas presents are appreciated:D