1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combining Flats and Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SMILEYSIXX, Nov 14, 2010.

1. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Recently, I picked up a set of rounds to play with and after a few minutes, missed my thick low end from my flats, but realized how much I loved the bright highs on my rounds. So my P is strung with flat E and A and round D and G. I don't think I'll ever go back to all flats or all rounds again. It works exactly as what I need it for, thick basslines and bright solos. Anyone else do this? I read once that Tom Wolk did it on one of his P's.

And to anyone who thinks it's a strange way to go, try it. I thought it would be weird at first, but it feels like my bass is a whole new instrument.

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    sounds like it has it's place, gl.

3. It would seem like there would be big differences in tension and feel between your strings when you play?

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If your doing scaler playing rather then across the various strings for scales. I could see that working ok. Where the E&A string are regarded as low bass instrument and the D&G string are regarded as high bass instrument. But Id hate to try to get a good string to string balanced sound when playing across the strings rather then up and down each individually with mixed flats and rounds.

5. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    There's a slight difference in tension but nothing too major. I had to do a slight truss rod adjustment with the rounds, but that's it.

6. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I did this for a while but my D & G weren't able to cut through in a band situation.

7. This.

Like so many of these things, I'm sure it sounds great when you're on your own but when you're playing in a band sometimes it's the small percentages of difference between strings that make all the difference.

8. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Actually, I'm primarily using it in a drum and bass band, so there's really not much to cut through.