Combining Scales

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LiquidSexMachine, Sep 1, 2000.

1. LiquidSexMachine

Sep 1, 2000
    Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me what scales can be combined? I have books with lots and lots of scales I know some of them can be combined but I dont know which ones.

thank you
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    in what way do you mean, "combine"? could you clarify your question just a bit? :)
  3. LiquidSexMachine

Sep 1, 2000
    I know that the minor pentatonic scale can be combined with dorian , phyrgian and aeolian. I was just asking if anyone knew anything else about this.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The only way I can understand this, is that your book means that you can use notes from any of these scales in a given situation. There are always scale choices for a given chord sequence and to actually make a solo that fits and makes musical sense, you can use notes from all these scales.

Some scales will sound more dissonant than others however, but this can be used to your advantage in constructing a solo - tension and release. So you could go off in a fairly "weird" sounding direction by choosing notes from one "dissonant" scale and then come back to something that is more consonant with the chords being played and therefore release the tension crated by playing the first scale.

For example a "whole tone" scale will sound quite dissonant, but returning to a Dorian or Pentatonic will sound more "comfortable" to the listeners!