1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combining synth and bass through effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theunknowndude, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Hey all,

Random thoughts combining use of a microbrute synth and my usual bass into effects into amp. (Sound man usually takes DI from back of my amp head) Has anyone done that live?
    A bit of background... we lost our drummer earlier this year, and in the metal scene it’s hard to replace/ hard to have respect if you have a drum backing track. We’ve kinda gone on hiatus since but are now thinking stuff it, what if we make electronic drums and electronic stuff as part of the show.

My plan is using the bass synth for crazy interludes between each song ( filter sweeps, sequences stuff etc) to hide a count in or intro or messing with the laptop... but the more research I do if I kept it simple means running more equipment as synth seems to run hotter so can’t just do an a/b into my effects board? Or is I easier to pre record everything including the synth interludes and then I guess we could just run as one whole backing track...
    Any thoughts?

Cheers

2. Great idea, just be careful of the mega bass that the synth can produce.... If you can run some sort of high pass filter between the synth and amp so you don't blow your speakers. The speakers can handle very short bursts of low frequency like the attack of a note from a bass guitar but a sustained note at full attack can do serious damage.

As far as the synth running hotter, it has a volume control so just use it to level volume between it and the bass and a/b it. I reckon doing it live would be far more interesting.

Cheers

3. That’s my hope, make the show interesting and the way the micro brute is built there’s no patches so it’s like playing an instrument in itself which I like the idea of!

4. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    Another reason why the Boss LS2 is such a handy pedal to have in your arsenal . It would do this job perfectly

5. Ahhh good point I sold mine ages ago since I preferred in built blends into my dirt pedals. wonder if cheaper to just get a aby pedal hmmm have to price em up

6. Yep LS-2 definitely!

7. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    There's also this offering from Radial. Costs much more, about $160, than an LS-2 but it has a blendable effects loop so you can use it to bypass your whole board if you'd like that.

I haven't used one myself so I can't vouch for the quality.

461A8A08-D835-4F7B-AA39-97CE5A74F696.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  8. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I did it for years with a MicroKorg and an LS-2. Worked awesome.

theunknowndude likes this.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If it were me and I have FOH support I would take the synth direct and bring it back in a monitor... Advantage is separate hpf, Delay, Eq and comp settings at the board. If not, there are many combiners out there. Micro format mixers from Rolls and Art. Radial Bassbone.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  10. Hmmm so you reckon going something with control over levels vs a straight aby?... I’m guessing as long as I make the sound man aware of what I’m doing then monitors etc wouldn’t bother me if it’s just a minute or so between songs with nothing else in the mix (not sure if we gonna go full crazy electronic but I guess would be easier to just have prerecorded laptop tracks then..)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can go either way. Personally, since synths have their own volume and tone controls, I'd go straight up AB and skip the Y unless you have to use both at the same time. And in that case, I'd make sure it was active so you don't get any sort of loss from using a passive box. Saturnworks would be a good company to check out for that.

12. Thanks jimmy... thinking something like this AB Selector Pedal - Loopi Pedals with using the synth volume to dial it way down so level enough ok to go through pedalboard?

13. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I would get a small mixer to blend your synth and bass together. I use a KMI 12 step with a MacBook. At practice I run both through the mixer or my hxfx into my amp for monitoring. For shows I use a separate DI for the synth and get it through the stage monitors. You’ll be able to set levels and mixers are pretty handy to have. My Mackie is a 5 channel and I think it was 50 bucks.

hieronymous and theunknowndude like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't see why not.