1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combining Transitor Amp and Tube Amp as dual rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pulse, Sep 30, 2008.

1. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hello

I am about to record my album, and I have a transistor rig I love the sound of and an all tube rig I love the sound of.

I am thinking about combining both.

Does anyone have any tips or advice about mixing the two signals.
    What problems can occur if any, and what comes out well on the recording if anyone has experimented this way.

Cheers
    J

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If it were me, I'd Y-cable to both, close-mic each one, and devote a channel to each. Try to keep the amps separated by several feet in case one rig inverts phase but the other does not. Better yet, wall them off from each other. You can balance, and correct phase if necessary, at mixdown.

3. I have approached this, however, I must admit that when hearing everything recorded, often less is more.

Im with Craig.P on this, if you do it, make sure it is to different channels :)

Could always mic the tube amp and run the SS amp DI ?

4. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I agee with IGAM, I'd make certain that the two rigs sound good together before recording. They may not sound better when they blend. In your case I'd suggest trying to use your tube (svt) rig for "clean" lows and run your dirt through the ss rig you prefer the highs on, and blend the two as a dirty/clear mix vs. a straight eq mix.

5. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    HI

thanks for the replies and tips.

I will try a number of experiments then as I have some time before we get started so....

Actually right now I am thinking of using the Tube amp DI'd and the SS head Mic'd.

I know it's heresy ;-) to use an all tube amp unmiked but I get such a great clean bass sound from the SVTs pre amp. And I love my distortion running through the SS amp and mesa speaker.

thanks
    J

6. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Hey, if it works it works, heresy be damned. :)

7. Fair play :)

The reason I was for mic-ing the tube amp was more so you could get some lovely power tube grind in there :) , also, you are going to need a cab attached to the tube amp anyways. So DI-ing the SS amp, you wouldnt need a cab, you wouldnt need to isolate the cabs from each other etc etc.

Happy hunting, and remember to let us hear the results :)

8. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    sure dude, I know power tube grind is the holygrail but I dont get it so well, or not in the flavour I am searching for from my Mesa / SVTII combination. It might work better with an AMPEG Cab or BERG NV 610 but I dont have either cabs available.

The other thing is 3 of my favorite bass players get the most incredible tones (IMO) from solid state heads.

That's Shellac, Jesus Lizard and NOMEANSNO

I love my SVTII for smooth round warm bass tones, love it too bits, but I cant get the metallic klang I am searching for (for my edgey sounds) out of it yet, with the basses and cabinets I use. I know it is possible to get great tones out of that head, its just not in the combination of gear I have. (YET!!)

P:S I found a way to have the SVT in the room with no sound coming out, I plug in as you say a 4 ohm cab to catch the load, but I insert a unconeccted jack into the power amp in of the SVT II. This basically means nothing is coming into the SVTIIs power amp, meaning nothing more than some light hum is coming out of the speaker.

that way I can DI it and keep it in the room with the other gear( thats the plan anyways !! Its not fully tested yet tho)

ANd I will for sure post a link to the myspace site holding the recording of this!
    Cheers

J

9. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    > but I insert a unconeccted [plug] into the power amp in [...] some light hum is coming out of the speaker

Pulse, if you're not already doing so, try shorting the plug (tip to barrel). That will drop the source impedance to zero and possibly reduce the noise. May not make much of a difference on an input that is already (hopefully) low impedance, but you never know.

10. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey craig thanks for the tip

could you please explain in dummy terms what you mean by "shorting tip to barrel", does that involved soldering?

11. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    One method for obtaining mucho tonal flexibility is to record your bass amp and take a d.i. feed at the same time. You're basically going to be playing through amp for the feel/interaction. But the only thing you really need to do is record a track through a d.i. You can then feed the d.i. track to a re-amping device (Little Labs, Radial, etc) which then feeds the bass amp of your choice with the correct impedance signal. It's just like playing your rig live, almost spooky. As your track plays back through your amp, you're free to make adjustments to the amp's controls, mic placement, whatever you want. Radial even makes a 7-way re-amp box that allows you to feed up to 7 amps simultaneously!

12. Hey mate, I would ask someone else for advice on that as I dont think that is safe for the amp!

13. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    really, but why is the option to plug something into the power amp in there?

if the load is dumped into the speaker and the connection between pre and power amp is broken / without signal I cannot imagine the problem, the alternative would be to connect some kind of device in between and turn it all the way down.

cheers
    J