Combo Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lwleaver, Aug 31, 2003.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am thinking of going to a combo to replace my semi large and heavy rig. Right now I use a Carvin 2x10 and 1x15. Usually not the 1x15 since it is so large and most gigs we play do not call for it. My amp consists of a mackie 1400i, ADA MB-1, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Sabine 1600 rack tuner and a power conditioner. As someone with a back that does not dig the weight I am looking for a combo with either a 2x10 or 1x15 speaker and anywhere from 400 - 600 watts RMS. I have read reviews on carvin, swr, etc.. What do you guys gig with that you are really happy with. I just realized I do not need all this power. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There are a few combos you might want to look at. The best would probably be the Euphonic Audio iAMP800 combo. It can put out 800 watts with an extension speaker. Very hi-fi. Gives you the sound of your bass. I like the SWR Super Redhead. Really nice sounding amp. Clear, but not quite as hi-fi as the EA. Ashdown is another company you might want to look at. They have some really nice combos out in 2x10" and 1x15" configs. It all depends on what you want the sound to be like.
  3. The new Fender Bassman 400 Pro is also something to consider. 350w into internal speakers, 500w w/ extension cab. I really like the punchy sound from the Bassman.
  4. I hate to be a negative voice in any way, but if you're thinking of your back, what makes you think a combo is going to help? Most combo's in the range you're in need of (power and performance wise) are going to be far heavier then your either your rack or your current cabinets. Maybe more portable cab's and a lighter power amp might suit your back a little better. Carrying a few lighter things over a few trips beats trying to wrestle a decent sized combo through a narrow hall in the dark! You might check out some of the following lighter weight amps and cab's-

Peavey (DPC 1400X)-

QSC PLX amps-

Stewart amps-

and look into cabinets from:

Epifani ultra-light-

Ampeg (porta-bass)-

Hope this helps!

5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    THINK MODULAR! break your 'rig' into smaller bites!

I recently got an Aguilar GS-112 (42 Lbs) sounds huge! only 300watts, but if you had two they could probably handle many situations. I heard one guy say he forgot, for a week, to hook up his 15 after moving his rig. I can see that happening

If you want one head to replace all you stuff, try EA iamp800 (not the combo) 18 Lbs and tuner built in, 4 band sweepable tone controls. price is the kicker (probably about $1200) I've heard its worth the price, right allan?

I'd rather move AND listen to these two pieces of gear instead of iamp800 combo, 63 Lbs (in one box)
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Agree on the modular idea, I have back problems too, and don't like heavy lifting. I'd advice staying away from a combo in that power/size range as they tend to be heavy and bulky, and akward, even dangerous to lift for one person.

I've gone through a couple of different setups, partly for sound partly for weight reasons. My amp history (over some years) so far...

- Peavy TNT 1x15" combo - lead heavy
    - Changed to GK200MB - great sound for the size, too little power
    - Gradually built up a big stack w. pre/power amps, rack effects and two 4x10 cabs - back protested loudly
    - 180 degree re-think and minimized to EBS Drome 12" combo to PA - worked fine but too little power
    - Traded it in for EBS GORM 2x10 - great sound but way too heavy
    - Traded it back for the Drome 12", now as practice amp
    - Bought a light weight and compact Hevos stack - 400W head, 1x15 + 12/6/tweeter cabinets. All components easily carried, speakers can even be carried one in each hand if in a pinch. This is finally where it clicked, good power and no back problems.
  7. cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    I agree with you on the peavey, but I'm going to get a couple of aguilar gs112 cabs, a qsc power amp, and a cheap head to use as a preamp or a line 6 bass pod pro instead
  8. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I appreiate your advice. This is a hard decision to make. The cabinet itself is not too bad. I have been kicking around the idea of an nice bag end or something. But I have yet to truly try one. I definitely liked the idea of a lighter power amp. Stewart would definitely do the trick. I guess the combo would work, but as you guys noted it is still an heavy item. That EA i800 looks like a god send, except the price tag. I am sure that would be grounds for divorce. I guess for now a lighter power amp would be ideal. Another thing I noticed about my rack is the roto are really cumbersome dimensionally. Do you know a nice rack that is compact and light. The roto is light and all, but really bulky.
  9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    GK 1001RB(700 watts and weighs 18 lbs) and an Avatar 2x10". Whole rig will cost about $900 and you'll have a great rig that's easily expandable.