Combo Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Oct 24, 2003.

1. I need some advice on a high-end combo. I am downsizing because I am doing more studio and theatre gigs, and don't need the hassle of carrying a rig. I am to the point now where I can get the tone and sound I need with my basses and my technique. I currently have an Eden set-up and I love the sound. I had been thinking about the iAMP Wizzy, Ashdown, or EBS (I played through a Fafner head once and loved it), but I don't have a place where I can go check out high-end combos. Can anyone help with advice or recommendations?
  2. The new Fender bassman amps sound pretty good to me when I tried them in the local stores.
  3. I guess I was looking more for some input from someone who has an EBS, Ashdown, or EA combo amp and could tell me how they like it.
  4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I really liked the SWR Silverado. It was very
    very nice.
  5. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    GK 700RB II/210 combo.

I have the older 700RB/112 combo and it's eeeeeeeeeeeeeasy to move around. Strong and punch, also.
  6. Bass Player's Combo Amp Shootout
    This should be read by all people interested in buying a combo amp. Unfortunately, I did not and now am stuck with a Peavey TNT115...

7. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    if you like the eden sound, why not a metro ?
  8. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ++ very cool sounding and POWERFULL, TimeTraveler series might be interesting, but not a powerfull.

in reference to that bass player article, I think I saw that SAME group of amps, about 5 years ago?? I had the BXR60 and didn't like it, heavy and monotone. bought the B50R pretty good tone, but not enough power for heavy drummer. the other ones from that list that I'd STILL consider are the Workingman SWR stuff. I like the 12's tone the best, but the 15 might have more umph!! The fender 300c had alot of guts, but no tone. I keep hearing great things about Yorkville, I hear a 110 combo and it was loud and had a nice tone too!
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why not use a light-weight amp and a 2x10?

This would actually be more portable (and flexible) than a combo IMO.
  10. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002

I would recommend the EBS Drome 12" as a really light-weight combo with a very good sound. Actually I bought this combo untested because of good reviews at Harmony Central and, of cause, its portability. This EBS combo's sound have never let me down regardless of bass played through the amp.

11. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I was A/B ing a GK 700RB and an Eden TT 210 combo a couple months ago.

I took the GK. It's so easy to cart around. And it's built well. The TT head was awesome but couldn't put out the same volume. But the determining factor wasn't just the head.
    any time you gave the speakers any type of volume it felt as though it wanted to break. IMHO those Eden CXC drivers are a problem and you won't be able to get as much volume as want.

But I still think the head section was nice. I tried it with a 210 XLT and it was pretty nice.
  12. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Smash, have you had a chance to try and compare the Ashdown to the EA Wizzy combo?