Combo amp advice request

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ultravisitor, Nov 20, 2004.

1. ultravisitor

Nov 11, 2004

I am in need of a combo amp for solo practise, rehearsal and small gigs (100 persons max). Ideally, I would like to use the amp with both an electric Warwick four string and an upright. I play fusion and free jazz styles (no rock) and I do not believe I am in great need of massive lows as I tend not to play the E string very often. I am a student and therefore my budget is around 700 USD max although I would like to spend less if possible. Also, I have noticed that the bass players in the university music department use small, angled Hartke combos (no microphone) when performing in the recital halls, perhaps with only one 10 inch speaker.

2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Try the peavey tnt 115 combo or the peavey combo 115.

Both very good bass combos and very loud.
  3. Perhaps a small combo of the Ashdown variety would be a good starting point. The model that comes to mind is the MAG 210.

I have owned ashdown's entry level combos, the Electric Blue. Mine was an English made EB 150 112. This was a lightweight amp with a very honest and warm tone. Considering it was only $330 new, it is a bargain, and will blow those aluminum can combos back to the recycle center- both in tone and output.

Maybe an Eden Nemises. The 210 is nice, but arguably would be overkill for your current venue.

I have an Eden CXC 110. I paid about 600 USD new for it, and have recently added the ext. cab at a cost 200 USD.
    I really love the tone. requires little or no tweaking, has lots of power. The 110 is rated to play down to 37hz and has a coax. In other words, this is a great amp for jazz.
  4. ultravisitor

Nov 11, 2004
    Cheers for the replies

angelopb, where did you purchase the Eden CXC110? I see them listed at $900USD on the internet, which is a bit too much for my budget.
  5. You have to ask for the "Talk Bass Discount". I will give you the authorized dealer's name via PM.
  6. I was re-reading your query and when yousaid you didn't play the E string I thought of the GK MB150s.

This is a small, metal combo that a lot of cocktail jazz guys like. The GK was are lightly more affordable version of the Polytone Minibrute. New, they are about 700 USD. The tone is kind of blah- very sterile, non spine-tingling and won't make a lot of people get up and dance like my Eden 110 will. But the GK's tone is not outright offensive like the aluminum can combos. The GK microbass has a midbass emphasis with rolled off lows and very attenuated mids and highs.

The Phil Jones Bass BRIEFCASE.
    But this thing is very trick and is 500-ish. supossed to be good. Phil will talk to you to answer questions. He is an Englishman but lives in St. Louis, Misery. Don't know how much output you'll get but it may be ideal for you.

If you go with the Eden CXC 110, you may find yourself using the low E again and running it a little dirty(warm circuit engaged for half-wave, even order harmonic distortion, drive at 1:00.)

EDIT: If you are in the UK you have access to the HEVOS MIDGET, unlike the above combos, I have no first hand experience. But the specs on this are to die for in terms of power to weight. Appears to be a small company that deals direct. Do not know how much they cost. If I lived in EU I definetly would try one. I dig these small companies(or any one not owned by Fender or Gibson).

Edit 2: 13,25 euros. too expensive and you could get the mesa boogie walabout scout for 1100.
  7. ultravisitor

Nov 11, 2004
    angelopb... major thanks again for the information!

I'll give each of those amps a well in-depth look and consideration. Reading about the GK combo, I noticed that two of my fave bassists, Charlie Haden and Ron Carter endorse the product. I am definitely well into the Eden combo (and the 210 version!), but I could only afford a used model.

I plan to use a bit of analogue effects processing with the electric.. delay and ring modulation, :D will the Eden and GK combos handle such effects?
  8. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK

Easily, just dont overdo bass and/or volume. :)
  9. You can play through effects through any amp, but a feature you want is "effects loop." this will keep your signal cleaner. The eden had an effects loop but to be honest, I love the unaspirated sound on this thing, using only the optical compressor and "warm" circuit. But even the cheapo ashdown electric blue had an effects loop.

Another thing i have done with the eden is to share it with a [gasp] guitar player. Since the CXC is full range and is designed to accept two instruments, this works nicely.

For recording or live sound reinforcement, you also want a balanced DI and a preamp voice you can live with.
  10. BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    The Roland DB-500 is a stout little puppy. Sounds great and the DI is awesome. 160 watts into a 12" speaker...massive sound. After owning mine for about 2 years, I finally sold my Mesa Stack (Buster Bass 200 head and 1516 Cab) and Ampeg stack (SVT-CL Head and SVT 810 Cab) after realizing that I never really used it other than practice. The Roland went with me everywhere...

Play'll be amazed.

I do, however, want to get back into the large rig thing again...Aggie pre, QSC Amp, Schoeder cabs. I have no use for it, but I just want...
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    don't be afraid to look at small heads and cabinets as well. you might have to buy used to stay within your budget depending upon brand. i use an old swr electric blue head (13 lbs) and a bag end s12 for small gigs and i cant think of tons of combos that are more portable than that while sounding that good. if you couldnt find a used gk 400rb for 300 bucks or less i'd be surprised, pair that up with a bag end 112 @ $350 or an aguilar 112 @ $400 and you're within your price range as well. just a thought :cool: