Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo amp advice severely needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by predmachine, Feb 23, 2006.

1. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    I'm switching too bass after several years on guitar. I'm considering buying a Fender 250/210, Fender 250/115 or an Ashdowm 410 Mag (300 W). I can get the Fender locally but will have to mail order the Ashdown. I will use the amp for gigging and mainly play Police, Beatles, Stones, but also play Rush, Alice Cooper and some southern rock. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    OK.... let's back up for a sec.....

*Where* do you gig? Large rooms or small? Outdoor? PA support or not? How loud is the band?

FWIW, unless you have PA support, my opinion is that the you might be outgunned with the Fenders. The 410 Ashdown is more likely to keep up, just due to more speaker surface area. Of course, head/cab options are out there as well, if you're interested.

BTW - welcome to TB.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Look at the eden metro.
    May favorite combo is not a combo;)
    Thunderfunk head, schroeder 1210 cabinet.

4. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    How much money do you have to spend?If you are looking at a combo i would strongly advise a GK 1001rb II 210 combo....if you want 210's.If you want something with a lil bit more bottom end....try the new GK 1001rbII noe 212 combo.with the 1001rb II combo's....you get 460 watts at 8 ohms and a very nice 700 watts at 4 ohms if you add an ext. cab.But if you want to be a lil more vesitile go with a head and cab set up.Cause then you have a lot more room to exspand and a lot more veritile in you setup.But yeah check out GK www.gallien-krueger.com I have been useing there head's and combo's for the past 7 year's and could not ask for better.Good Luck:) Cheers Mate;)

5. With out knowing the size of venue it's kind of hard to recommend somrthing. I play in a bar band that covers lots of styles of music from celtic to hard rock. We usually play to crowds of 60 to 100 people. 1 Drummer and 2 guitarists both with tube amps. I play an Ashdown Mag 300 combo 115. I have no problem volume wise, I will be adding a 210 extension cab in the future but for now I am fine. So if you are playing to more than 200 people I would look at 400w.
    I think Ashdown is great stuff for the price I highly recommend it.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The Eden Metro is my favorite combo, but if that's out of reach, try the Eden Nemesis line. My NC210 is a loud 250 watts, I believe the new line is 320.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I would go with the MAG 300 C-115 as well.
    giged 2 years with it in all types of venues. ok it wont fill a big room on its own but you wouldnt expect that from a small rig.
    The MAG does tend to sound loud though, i think because of the EQ and its got a great earthy tone