Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fighterfire, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Hello,

I am new to bass and need a small combo amp for practice. Right now I am considering two possibilities.

Fender Bassman 25 25watt 10"

SWR LA12 60watt 12"

Anyone use the SWR? I am leaning more toward that one but am a little unsure. Basically I want something in the range of $250. With the SWR am I sacrificing quality and durability for more power?

Thanks

2. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I don't know anything about either of these amps in particular, but SWR is a well regarded manufacturer although the LA series is their low-end line. I would do a little more homework, and then check out e-bay. Your $250 will go a lot further there. Also consider whether you really only intend to practice with this amp. If you think you will want to use it to jam with some friends, 25watts into 1X10 really isn't going to cut it.

Is this the Fender you are looking at? You can "buy it now" for only $150. Or, with a little luck and a few more bucks, something like a SWR Workingman's 12 would be much more versatile.

Good luck!

3. The link to the amp on Ebay is for a Frontman 25 which is different than a Bassman 25. I have now heard that the SWR LA series amps are not that great.

I also wonder how the Fender Frontman 60B is?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It depends on how loud the jam is. I have played a church that seats 200 people, accompanying piano, organ, drums and guitar, and had no problems being heard. Granted, we weren't using distortion on the guitar, but that little Fender is a lot louder than any 25 watt amp that I have ever heard. The reason that I bought it was because I A/B'd it with an Ampeg BA112, which claims to have 50 watts, and the Bassman 25 blew it away. And it handles the low B on my five and six stringers really well. The Ampeg farted out badly at a moderate volume, when I tried to go below E.

5. I think the bassman 25 is the one for me. I just want a good practice amp. I don't need anything more right now. Thanks for the advice.