1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo amp around $600, any recommendation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kismub, Jul 20, 2019.

1. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Hello all, I am looking for a combo amp around $600, brand new price. The amp will be used in church, approximately 300 seats.

Now I am using Fender rumble 100 watts for my practice amp and 90's 100 watts peavey amp in my church, both sounds okay, but I prefer more 'modern' sound which means, I think, more punchy?

So, now I am considering Markbass Ninja 102-250watt combo or Markbass Marcus miller CMD 102/250watt. I found a couple of reviews that Ninja is similar to little mark and Marcus miller is somewhat scooped and low-boost sound. But I couldn't find any review comparing these two amps. Do you have any idea?

I will use this amp for monitoring and use a direct box (or line out) to send the signal to the PA system. So, I guess 250 watts is sufficient.

Could you guys recommend me any combo amp within that budget?

Thanks in advance, have a good day!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Is the PA signal pre or post?

What bass are you playing?

3. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    The folks in the Combo Club might be able to help you: The Combo Club

4. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Hi, I plan to use bass->DI->split by two, one is Amp (monitor) and the other is PA (main)

Is this what you asking?

I am using Valenti 5 string with Nordy dual coil, mostly, playing mid-slow tempo songs.

Thanks!

5. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Tad, alanloomis1980 and GuitarJay like this.
  6. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
  7. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thanks! I will look at it!

8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Will your new amp replace both the practice and church amp?

9. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    No, only church amp

10. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Do you own the church amp?

11. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    GK's MB210-II would be a great combo for what you want. 350 watts @ 8 ohms into two 10s. Plug in an extension like an 8 ohm GK CX210 and you now have 500 watts on a 4 ohm load. But... it is a little pricey, it's now $799. I got mine last August when it retailed for $699.

The Markbass combos you listed, even at only 250 watts would still be sufficient power wise for what you are doing. And a little easier on the pocket book too. I don't think you could go wrong with either but looking at specs I would go with the Marcus Miller over the Ninja. And even though the Ninja's 10's are vertically stacked, the Marcus Miller's wedge / kickback design is more efficient at getting the sound to your ears which is also an advantage it has over the GK MB210-II.

Mertle72 likes this.
  12. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    No, the church amp belongs to the church. I have my fender rumble 100 in my house

13. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thanks for your opinion! I was considering GK MB 115 as well. And I agree with your thought wrt Marcus miller amp.

14. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Cant speak on the GK MB 115. Bunch of us GK users here but we all seem to be using either 10s or 12s.

15. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
  16. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I like the Trace Elliot ELF Stumbo suggested. Spent about 45 minutes checking one out at a local shop.

Sounded great.

17. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Forgot about "The Elf", That would be another one worth looking at.
    I played through this one at a gig using an older TE 1x15 cab and the TE Transit B Preamp pedal about two months ago. Sweet sounding set up.
    rig.

lowplaces likes this.
  18. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Since your DI goes to the PA before the amp and you don't control the venue tone, why spend $600 for a new amp that you'll only hear once a week?

dralionux and Morrighan like this.
  19. I have used the GK MB115 and I think it will do just fine for your church. I have used mine on outdoor gigs and only turned up to half volume. Never went above half. I no longer have an amp as everything is DI at my church (smaller than yours) with in ear monitors. The GK MB115 is definitely worth a look. :thumbsup:

20. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Sorry for my ignorance, but is it better to send out from the amp? the current church amp condition is not good, so we decide to change the amp before it blows up.