1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

COMBO AMP - Floor or raised up? (Plus Trace Elliot question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tajue17, May 25, 2012.

1. I guess this is a two part question, if you noticed my other thread for the 400rb with some problems I'm looking on CL for a beefy combo amp which brought me to this thought--> do you guys like to sit your combo right on the floor or is it cool to rais it up maybe on a home made riser? my stacks have all had wheels with the head high enough to see clearly but the combos everythig is so low.

2nd question I guess is for you trace elliot folks or others that may be familiar with the 1110 trace combo cab or 4X10 280watt(I think 280) combo amp, english made, in almost new condition with orginal cover, is it worth 550-525???

2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    I don't raise my combo because it has a kickback-style enclosure, so you can lean it back and the speaker aims towards head height. It's much, much better than having it aiming at your knees, and is able to fill the room better without any boom. Depending on the floor, having a combo sitting on the ground can create a boomy room due to the coupling of the bass enclosure and the floor. IME, a small combo is much more useful in a live comtext when it it is either raised or kicked-back.

3. There's a minty 200W trace combo with 1153 style cab in NYC, going for peanuts.

I frequently put my 2x10 up.

4. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    Angled. Keeps floor coupling (if needed), beams highs directly at your head.

I almost always have PA support though, my combo is mostly a stage monitor for myself.

On those rare gigs where I don't have PA support, I decide if aiming at the audience or at me works better.

5. You don't lose floor coupling until the speaker is 3ft off the floor.

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I heard it was 2ft (to the center of the speaker).

I just leave my speakers on the floor straight ahead. I'm not using much for highs anyway, so as long as I can hear a thump I'm good.

7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Okay. I always felt that the kickback reduced boominess. Would this have to do with the amount of combo enclosure in contact with the floor, or is it just the increased (perception of) highs as a result of the speaker angle?

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I usually just keep mine on the floor, but I've thought about putting some Fender Twin style tilt back arms on it. I normally use my other amps on our gigs right now.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    When I use my combo ( Roland DB 700 ), I always have it on a stand and tilted up at a slight angle. No loss of low end that I can detect, and I hear myself much better than having it on the floor, blowing at the back of my knees.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I have mine on an amp stand with a slight angle up so that I'm in the "sweet spot" about 6'-8' in front of it. That gives me plenty of room to move around in front of it.

I play with a pretty tight sound so I don't notice any real lack or low end over putting it on the floor and angling it. This is more convenient and everyone around me seems to hear it better this way as well.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's 1/4 wavelength to the baffle edge. If that distance is two feet you'll lose some coupling around 140Hz; if three feet, 95Hz. That pretty much covers the range of the boom frequencies, so it's a useful technique in boomy rooms/stages. To lose coupling below 80Hz, the range of the lows, it would have to be at least 3.5 feet high.

The issue here is that you won't hear what the audience does.

12. wow didn't think it was too big of a deal but seems theres alot of opinions on where the cab should be,,, how about this. based on your experience on where the cab should be do you think a 1x15 and a 2x10 or (in my case) a 4x10 would make a difference on which direction the speakers where facing????? in my own words would the 15" speakers sound (or frequency) make it to the audience late or say a click behind the guitars--> would it sound like it did to the human ear?

I've heard bass players complain about this with 18" speakers so I'm wondering if the 10's or 8's can be pointed up and the 15" would almost have to be directed right at the crowd (or in my case the 2 people standing there watching the guitar player ha ha only kidding)

would the combo with the 10's be better than the 15" for the live show ""not the jam room"

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Thanks for all that, Bill. I might be old, but I'm still learning.