1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo Amp for £200-£250

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yodimu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Yodimu

Yodimu

Oct 11, 2010
    Edinburgh, UK
    After quite a long time of skimping on my home amp setup and relying on rehearsal room and venue amps, I finally have a little cash put aside to spend on something a little better for home use and so I'm looking for a combo amp.

Three slight issues to be taken into account:
    1. I share a small flat with my other half and space is at a premium. I can just about get away with a 15-inch speaker but 12 would be better if it's no going to involve massively compromising on sound.
    2. I'm open to looking at used gear but a solid month of trawling local listings hasn't turned up anything promising. The best thing I've seen is an old Peavey TNT150 for peanuts but I'm waiting to find out if it is still available.
    3. My budget is only £200-250.

Originally I had hoped to buy an entry level gigging amp but research and advice from other bassists indicates that this isn't realistic on my budget. Our typical venue is pub/small club sized. I'm also loathe to spend £250 on an amp that will never go past 1/8 volume while taking up a large amount of space in my living room. I had twigged on the notion of finding something 100W+ with an XLR DI out to run through the PA or with a speaker extension option but this doesn't seem to be a choice many bassists make. Is this actually a realistic option?

Amps that have struck me as potentials in the sub-£250 new bracket are:

Hartke A100
    Ashdown EB-12 180 EVO II
    GK Backline 115

Low end Ampegs are also a possibility I suppose but I can't say I've had a good experience with the cheaper models to date.

Alternatively, if my gigging ambitions with an amp in this budget are unrealistic, I was considering either a Laney RB3, Hartke A35 or even one of the newer Orange Crush 50W bass amps.

Advice and suggestions very welcome.

FAKE EDIT: Apparently the Peavey TNT150 is available and selling at £90.

2. There's a Laney DP100 for sale on Ebay. These British Laneys are a little hard to find nowadays, so I thought I'd alert you.

Paul

3. I suggest the Ashdown Electric Blue you are looking at. My friend uses the 15" version and it is quite good for what it is, definately a cabable gigging amp. Also, if you could stretch a little (£20-£30) out of your budget, or just have a bit of a hunt around, you could take a look at the Line 6 LowDown LD 150. Its a 150w 12" combo with built in effects, my main gigging amp at the moment, definately worth it if you can stretch up to the price.

Liam

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Buy the Peavey, and keep the change.