Combo amp for apartment practice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gotly, Aug 6, 2021.

1. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I have a stupidly awesome / expensive rig for shows and rehearsal. It's a Mesa Boogie 400+ with Mesa Subway 2x10 and 1x15. I also have a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 as a backup for the giant box of lightbulbs.

At home, I have a Roland MicroCube Bass. I hate this amp. I like that it's battery powered but it sounds like garbage. I also have a couple headphone amps but that's beside the point.

I'd love a light, portable, GOOD sounding combo amp that can keep up with a drummer but is also usable at lower volumes. I probably will never gig this amp.

Note that my apartment is ground floor and very well insulated. I can play at moderate volume and I'm friends with my neighbors.

My first choice is a Fender Rumble 500 but I can't find one in stock to demo anywhere in Seattle. I guess there's the Fender Rumble 200 I could try. Same thing with the Ampeg RocketBass 200. I'm not really willing to buy the Rumble 500 sight unseen. Price isn't really a factor.

An alternative I don't really like is getting a small cab and using the Genz Benz shuttle with it at home. I really want a good combo amp.

Thanks for any recommendations!

coy garcia likes this.
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I think the Rumble 500 is overkill for your stated purpose, and the 200 should be more than adequate.
    Needing light and not being financially restricted, you might want to check out GR Bass Cube 350.
    Cube 350 – GRBass

3. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks. The Rumble 200 is in stock around here and a 1x15 makes a lot of sense for my space. I kind of liked the Rumble 500 because it's loud enough to be used at a smaller gig if I ever wanted to retire the Mesa stack but it's not in stock anywhere locally.

4. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I gotta emphasize that I'm not willing to buy an amp without trying it in-person. Sending an amp back sucks. I'm finding that it's really limiting my options. Even in Seattle not many places have a wide variety of amps to check out.

5. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    200 watts is adequate for practicing in an apartment?? I have a Rumble 40 and that's way more than loud enough for home practice.

6. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I'm used to having 900 (Class D) watts on tap so 200 seemed tiny by comparison

7. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    When you play out do have a full PA and run your rig thru a DI? If both answers are yes you may well be able to gig the Rumble 200 at a smaller show since it has a DI. It would just be a stage monitor for then and the PA would do the heavy lifting.

Jazzkuma likes this.
  8. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    The Phil Jones Bass Cub 100 changed my practicing life , I can plug in my computer or my cell phone for songs to work on, plug in my Bass and a mic and can listen through headphones, the headphone plug turns off the speakers. the 2-5" piranhas sound great , it has a built in limiter, a tuner out jack. It may be a bit pricey but worth every penny, only the Cub 100 has 2 channels the Cub 120 has more power and will take a 8ohm extension box. PJBCUB100.JPG

9. Have you looked at the Ampeg RB series combos? I feel they're the best of the mainstream/big name options. Really a step above in quality and sound vs Fender Rumbles and even the previous Ampeg BA series.

Jumping quite a bit up in price would be the GK Legacy combos, imho. Way different tonal goals between the RBs and Legacies, though.

10. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    i used to rehearse and gig with a GK mb150, no extension cab. If I used that in my apartment at the same levels I would use in rehearsals I think they would have kicked me out already.

The Owl likes this.
  11. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    MarkBass has a variety of combo amps, all very giggable! I'd recommend the CMD121P as a starting point but they have excellent variety in configurations.

gotly and NEBADON2000 like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    PJB Double Four! I love mine. It sounds like an amp but not as loud. Unlike most practice amps which sound like practice amps. Get one.

macmanlou, BobKay and Justinian like this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    And FWIW the best things in life are always a combination of stupid and awesome. That’s a great way to describe a badass rig.

Andre678 and Justinian like this.
  14. Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

Jun 9, 2020
    Lacey WA
    My Daughter has gigged her Rumble 200 many times. I myself have a small GK mb200. It's 200 watts but does not seem any more louder than my daughters 100 watt Rumble... It just sounds better:D:D:D

gotly likes this.
  15. MaxSpinrun

MaxSpinrun Gold Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    How about this, very high performance and light weight.
    upload_2021-8-6_16-13-24.jpeg

16. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sheesh tough crowd. I have one of these and think it sounds great for what it is (and I run a somewhat similar gig rig as you - Mesa TT800 and Subway 215). Anyway, if money isn't a big issue, I'd personally get a class D head of your choice and a BareFaced OneTen or TwoTen.

17. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    I recently got a Traynor SB115. Really liking it. Very solid build, but not too heavy and 200W.
    The only gripe is the carpet-like material - it collects cat hair, and they sometimes think it's a scratching post.

clockworkcorpse likes this.
  18. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Definitely going to try out the Ampeg RB 1x15 at my local guitar center.

To everyone else recommending a head/cab - I already have that :) looking for a combo amp.

musicman556 likes this.
  19. Ampeg ba108

20. I have the same, great little amp, but I also don't like the covering.

Sponson Thrisby likes this.