Combo amp for bedroom practice and messing around with friends?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peeved T-40, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Fender Rumble 40

33 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Orange Crush Bass 50

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Ampeg BA110V2

22 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Vox VX50BA

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Other

30 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Not really. My Harkte HD25 keeps up with my QUAD stereo at volumes loud enough to shakes walls and piss off the neighbors. What I like about it is almost all of the volume knob is useful where with cheaper amps, once you get past half you have to EQ the good bass tone out of it. An HD75 is loud enough to jam with a drummer. The Acoustic B100C is the same price and gets you a XLR direct out with pre/post button. Also tilts back. That's my other recommendation.

2. Bix

Bix

Sep 6, 2019
    Check out the new Ampeg Rocket bass amps. I have the 30w version which is a great sounding practice amp, and the 50 watt version would still be in your price range.

motron, SJan3, digmeout and 1 other person like this.
  3. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I have an Acoustic B50C and i'm not too happy with it personally

4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’d be happy with either the Ampeg or Rumble. Ampeg leans “cleaner”, Rumble “beefier”.

5. Cavemanfrmc

Cavemanfrmc

Apr 11, 2021
    Indiana
    Peavey Max 100.

BassNugget likes this.
  6. jdcraignh

jdcraignh

Nov 2, 2018
    Agreed on Genz Benz. I was very lucky to find one of these used a few years ago for very short money:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...e-60-12t-600-watt-lightweight-bass-1x12-combo

It's my grab and go mini rig. Wonderful piece of kit.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    groove pump likes this.
  7. OldSchoolFlats

OldSchoolFlats

May 29, 2021
    Acoustic B100C. A little "tighter" lows than the Rumble, and has a notch filter.

SunByrne and jeff7bass like this.
  8. This guy is picky

9. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    and apparently a 7 band EQ is too much for him to handle...

logdrum, DrMole and OldSchoolFlats like this.
  10. OldSchoolFlats

OldSchoolFlats

May 29, 2021
    FYI, this video appears old. The Acoustic combos are now 25/50/100W. The 100W is under $300.

11. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Without a drummer, just about anything will work provided your friends don't insist on playing full volume (which means they need to be using appropriate wattages, especially if they get their dirt from cranking their amp). I've used the Rumble, it's not bad. I'd take a good look at that Orange, the brand has impressed me of late, just know that they have a certain sound all their own.

jeff7bass likes this.
  12. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    The orange was the one i was most interested in. I was a bit surprised that no one here seemed to care about it, especially considering it has the biggest speaker of the bunch that i listed

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That's HALF the amp. The B100C has it's own topic and compares favorably to the Rumble 100 in sound and features. 279 bucks.

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    This guy clearly works for Fender. He claimed he couldn't figure out how to use the Hartke Graphic plus 3-band EQ, which is laughable, so he left everything flat. He understands how to use the low mid and high mid but can't figure out how to use a graphic?
    My HD25 set flat sounds flat also but turn the bass know up to 2:00 and the MID to 1:00 and it cranks. No noise either. NONE unless I solo my bridge pickup on my jazz-style bass which creates hum on every amp. My friend has the Rumble 40 and it sounds good but kinda boxy. That's the price of being super light.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    logdrum likes this.
  15. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    yeah, that was pretty much my thoughts when I found that vid a few days ago. Hard to take him seriously

logdrum, DrMole and jeff7bass like this.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    He spent more time talking about the Fender as all the others combined.

logdrum likes this.
  17. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Do yourself a favor and look at the Hartke HD50 or even the HD25’s. I use a couple of HD25s. Incredible sounding! C069FF03-77E9-4C3D-B9D6-E9FCE3D9BCCD.jpeg

Michael Jewels and jeff7bass like this.
  18. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    I've had a Roland Cube 60 for 32 years and it has worked for me in rooms from closet size to dance halls and bars.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've played an Acoustic B50c when practicing with a drummer and it did the job.

What about it is not satisfactory for you?

Wait long enough and every amp ever made will be recommended :meh:

20. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    Just haven't been able to get a tone out of it that I can say I love. It's not a bad amp, like, I guess there's nothing wrong with it. I just can't say I love it. it's just kind of there

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021