1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

combo amp for big shows? (yorkville?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sadworld, Mar 22, 2009.

1. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan
    i'm in the market for a new rig and i'm thinking combo lately... most of the shows we do are standard bar gigs, but when summer rolls around we often play bigger shows. outside shows... i'm talking festivals, beer tents and stuff like that so i need some power when i ask for it.... could you guys recomend a combo with at least 150 watts that can power an additional cab? i am partial to a 15" speaker for this new quest and i may also be partial to yorkville as i've heard some great things about them. i'll check anything out though. new or used....thanks. matt.

ps. i play rock.... with a loud drummer!

...music man bongo....

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Traynor Dynabass 400 combo with the Dynabass 1x15" extension cab will sound good and play as loud as you need.It has all the usual goodies too, but will cost less than some of the other big names. Built like a tank and a great warranty.

3. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan
    great suggestion thanks.... just the thing i'm looking for... i checked a couple different websites and no one has a weight listed that i can see? any idea? thanks again. matt.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Sad...

At this level, you're really talking rackmount head and a few cabinet options.

Weight on a combo of this size can be a killer.

Also.. at outside stuff, chances are you may not need this much volume as a personal monitor/direct box may be better with some good sound guys.

I do own a 2x200 biamp rackmount.. I rarely use this much power..

Tim

5. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan

i noticed theres a db400 and a db400t... what's the T? (Besides more expensive)

6. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    DB400 = 1x15
    DB400T = 2x10

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi S.W.

From the DynaBass 400/400T/400H downloadable manual (it's the same one for all three products):

DB 400 (1 X 15") - 82 lbs.
    DB 400T (2 X 10") - 85 lbs.

A selection of hand trucks.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There's no argument that the Traynors are heavy. The only reason I sold my combo a few years ago. But you can't beat them for reliability and value.

I have a very nice folding hand truck. Not one of the cheap and flimsy things but an aluminium model that can handle at least 200 lbs. yet folds up to a package about 3" deep and has nice 8" wheels. It makes it a breeze to wheel a combo around even on rough pavement. Stairs are still a problem though.

If you want something light you pretty well have to go with one of the Neo speakered cabs and lightweight heads out now or a lightweight combo. I traded my Yorkville combo for a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout combo. In my opinion the Mesa is the king of tone and power in a bass combo. But it costs about 50% more than the Dynabass 400 combo.

Traynor has a new 350 watt lightweight combo now which weighs 45 lbs. It's a very good amp and you could get one under $900 US (I think). More of a clean and hi fi like sound but very powerful. It's called the Dynabass 300 and comes either as a 2x8" model or a 1x12". Neo speakers made by Celestion.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    The Traynor combos need an extension cab to get the full wattage listed, at least that's waht I got from their website.

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's true and is the case with many combos. That can be a good thing. Usually the about 60% power you get from the combo's amp into the internal speaker is plenty to drive that speaker to its limit. Adding another speaker gives you the bonus of more power on tap and the big advantage of increased speaker area for higher efficiency and bigger sound and lots more volume.

Even the Traynor Dynabass 200 will get uncomfortably loud when running by itself with no extension cabinet. Adding an extension cabinet makes the thing sound huge and a lot bigger sounding than the 200 watts you get would suggest.

I don't see much point in having a 400 watt amp driving just one speaker that can only comfortably handle half that power. There are very few single speakers on the market that will handle 400 watts when a lot of bass is being pumped out, no matter what their advertised power handling claims.

Back in the bad old days I could and did blow top of the line (in those years) JBL 15s rated at over 100 watts with a 60 watt power amp. And Altec Lansings and other name brands. What you get these days from even a budget priced amp and speaker is often a lot better than what we had to put up with in the 60s. These days also, guys are playing a lot louder generally than was the average back then. Bassists want their sound way out front rather than in a supporting role and they often want a huge rumbling bottom end. That's a pretty big task for one 15" speaker or a pair of 10".

11. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    There are a lot of combos that could be suggested, but how much money are looking to spend? Epifani makes a killer 12" combo that you could add a 12" extension cab to and it's pretty light. I know you said you were partial to 15's, but i was just throwing out an example.

12. I have the Acoustic B200 combo which is VERY loud for a 200 watt amp. You might want to check them out if you have a chance.

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's very true. The original post just mentioned combo amps and didn't state price or a weight limit. For about a little over $1600 Canadian you can get a wonderful sounding and very loud Mesa Boogie Walkabout. If money was no problem I'd get the Walkabout Scout combo and a matching Scout extension cabinet. Can't get much better than that for me. I remember the first gig I showed up with my new Walkabout Scout combo. The drummer asked me "is that going to be loud enough?" and the other guys in the band were sneering at it. As soon as I hit a few notes on it they were amazed.

Very few working pros who depend on music for the bulk of their income can afford that luxury though. And not many hobby players can either.

14. +1 on all accounts. Picking up one used does ease up the wallet quite a bit though.

I'd also suggest looking into the Markbass line. I had a CMD 121P that certainly was no slouch.

15. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to the +1...there is a lot of great used gear here on the TB Forums.

16. the engine

the engine Guest

Any number of Carvin combos would fit the budget and the "goodies" requirement.

www.carvin.com

17. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    +2 on the Walkabout Scout!

Great sounding tubey goodness, 300 watts, PA support, and capabilities for an extension cab....oh, and about 50-60 lbs.

It's currently on my G.A.S. list...

18. I just recently picked up a used Yorkville XS400C. 15" with a tweeter. With out an extension cab it puts 250wts to the 15".
    This by far is one of the best amps I have ever owned over the 40 years I've been playing. Along with all the features it has and capability of being able to get any sound you need out of it it is plenty loud. I've played thru Acoustic, Sunn Ampeg, GBX, Peavey, and the last was a Mark Bass. This amp out does them all. At least for me anyhow. Keep your eyes open for a used one. They are built like a tank. I picked mine up for 425.00 CDN and it's in like new shape. The only thing I did to this amp was switch out the stock soveck tube and put in a JJ. If I was to buy a new one(dynabass 400) I'd go with the two ten model. Then you could add a 115 cab or 210,410. JMO of course. Good luck in your search for a new toy.

19. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :eek:

20. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    The scout is a great little combo but if you want to take it to the next step get a Venture with 212's or a Carbine with 212's.Loud enough to play anywhere.