Combo amp help for my jazz band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Currently, I'm using an SWR WM 1x15 combo for the jazz band at my school. Decent amp, but my director hates it and wants to buy a new one (don't ask)...

Anyway, I've talked with him, and he wants something a little more hifi-ish, not necisarily as loud, and something that would sound nice on electric and upright.

Here's the requirments...

Under 1k street price
    About as loud as an SWR WM 1x15
    semi- hifi

What do you guys got?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I take my peavey TNT to school for marching and jazz band.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Of the workingman series I think the wm-12 $550 is best tone! much better than wm-15. other brands? Eden CXC-112, ampeg b100r $499, new tech21 landmark60 12" bass cube, Yorkville BM400 $770. don't know which ones are hi-fi, but I'd look into those.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fender Bassman 400, Eden CXC in one configuration or another. If it were me, I'd hold a bake sale and get an SWR Super Redhead or an Eden Metro. You don't have to crank 'em up, but the extra headroom is nice. You aren't going to get more hi-fi than that in a combo.
  5. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Of the Jazz bands I see every week at my local Jazz club - more than 90% of the DB players are using the small Gallen Krueger 150 watt combo :

Gallien-Krueger MB150E-112 150 Watt Micro-Bass Combo

These are $830 at Musician's Friend!! :)
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the GK is really impressive little box. lightweight, great EQ flexiblity, and sounds pretty good. i've seen Charlie Haden, Dave Holland, Leland Sklar all use one, and they get some great tones.

just in case, if you're interested in a killer jazz rig that's for you to own, not something for the school's gear closet, and dont mind spending a bit more, the best i've heard is my current combo, an Acoustic Image 400a head ($575-600 street), w/ my 4 ohm Acme B-1 1x10 ($360 direct only).

just tonight, while practicing for my gf's weekend showcase gig, i was getting some bold, round, thumpie tones with my Eminence 5 string EUB. didnt feel buried at all. there's not much EQ flexibility, but gives your upright a very natural sound that's both fat, and yet uncharacteristically punchie. nevermind despite being a wee little 1x10, the Acme does go down to 31 hz for my EUB's low B. pure sweetness.

a sound any upright kid (not to mention, director :p) would love.
  8. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    an used swr baby blue (or baby blue ii) ? or perhaps the new 1x10" one (but may have loudness problems, and has a worse tweeter)
  9. I'd recommend a Yorkville BM400, XM200T or Ampeg B100R... All of these wil be fairly easy to move and you can always add an extension cab to the Yorks if need be...maybe even look at the Ampeg BA210 or BA115HP...
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But he was asking for more "Hi Fi" combos - surely the ampeg is the opposite of this and is known for its warmth?:meh:

I would say the most "Hi Fi" stuff, is Euphonic Audio - but I'm not sure these would fulfil the other criteria of under $1,000?

The Gallien-Krueger MB150E-112 is certainly more "Hi Fi" than most of the combos mentioned in this thread and if it's good enough for the likes of Dave Holland etc. ... then who am I to argue!! ;)
  11. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I second the baby blue idea. I've got an older Electric Blue head that I use with an Avatar CB112. It sounds wonderful with my URB and with G&L. One of my favorite head/cab combinations.
  12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I would recommend the Acoustic Image Contra Combo. I think it's less than a grand and will work great for the environment you're working in for both double bass and bass guitar. I'm currently using this setup for a big band and for a "folksy" style band with my double bass and I'm loving the sound.
  13. True - the Ampeg's might not be the ticket then...though the Yorks would likely get the job done.
  14. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I'd recommend an Acoustic Image Clarus head and a good portable cab like a Flite Sound 15" or a Berg 12". It's not a combo, but it would be very portable and good sounding.
  15. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i would say either the GK alone or the GK with the 1x12 extension box. its cheap (like 150 or 200) and would add alot, but this teeny box seriously sounds amazing. there was a URB going into it at a local jazz gig and i was amazed. you can always go something semi- Hi-Fi would be a GK400rb (or 200rb, yes 200, not 2000) and 2 of the 1x12 MB112's (@ 12 lbs each) i think that would be a great rig for upright and for electric. maybe throw in a 2x10 also instead of one of the 1x12's? well anyways search MF for "MB112" and see what you find, or just find it some other way. also, the SWR Super silverado or whatever that that guy is selling would be ideal also... 350W 2x12... i think that would be good.

good luck
  16. Acoustic Image Contra, SWR Baby Blue (used) or GK MB150, also you can find used EA 350 iAMP or combo. Good luck
  17. AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    The new iamp200 whizzy is under 1k (depending upon who you talk to) and fits the hi-fi definition.
  18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How about the new PJB Briefcase - it's already knocked the Clarus and MB150 off my wish list for a small amp to cover jazz gigs - only $600, tiny and loud (apparently)?

I know what I'll be getting my brother to bring back from the USA next summer...