Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo Amp Mods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Is it insane to think about modifying a small combo amp I have? What I would like to do is pull the signal off before the power amp stage and send it to the (used to be) headphone jack in order to have a "line out" in place of the headphone. Am I biting off way more than I can chew?

this is a bad pic of it, but just to give you the idea. Is it too integrated to get the signal?

[​IMG]

2. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    The headphone jack should work as a line out anyway. It's not insane to modify it, I don't see a point other than ot could be a valuable learning experence or it may turn you away from ever opening an amp again. I did some mods to my piece of **** crate BX15, by adding different speakers, a crossover, and a switchable input so I could use the cab by itself or with it's head. I wanted to convert it's eq so it would work as a post eq for the cab (so I could use an external power source and the eq) but, I never got around to it, bought my RC210 Redeye, and said **** it! On your amp, Find the input wire on the power coil, and attach them to the speakor jack. The impedence load and other crap might be screwed up and you might have to rute the signal through some things to balence it out. How much power does the thing put out? You might be able to take the wire that goes to the speakor and get your output jack from that, but the signal might be to strong. You'd have to keep volume way low on it anyway. Why do you want to this? What are you planing on doing? Are you trying to run 2 amps at once or someting? oh yeah, nice band name.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Assman, I'd think the headphone jacks output would be too hot for what he's talking about.

It's not crazy to try what you're thinking about...

as long as you know what you're doing around electricity!

It would not be very hard to either injure or kill yourself. You decide.

4. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

headphone out will be too hot . best to use a direct box. also ground loop between your amp and the gear its feeding can cause noise and or damage.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The reason why I want to do this is so that I can directly record from this amp to my PC. I don't have $200 to $500 to buy some of these other cool items (line 6 bass pod and stuff) and I need something really small. This amp has about a 6"x10" footprint. It is a guitar amp, but I switched the speaker with a low freq auto woofer and it actually sounds pretty decent.

Why am I going to such extremes?? Well, dagnabbit. I recived my new small amp the other day... the one with the real line out. UPS must have played basketball with this one because I can get any sound I want as long as I want a 100hz sine wave. It's gonna be two weeks for this thing to be replaced so I am going to just return it.

All I really need is a 10w or so amp with a small footprint that has a line out. Don't need any fancy effects or whatnot. I could spend up to $100 on it in cash or $150 at MF. But this little amp is the perfect size. So... Hmmm... maybe a better way would be to attenuate the signal off of the headphone jack?

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I always thought when people brought those up that they were part of their amps. :p doh.

Thx for the tip. I will definately get that. Does that tak ethe signal from the headphone jack then?

8. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

the best way to run to your p/c is to go through the direct box. one line to your p/c and the other to your amp. good luck