Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

combo amp questions - ashdown, GK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJClone, Nov 5, 2003.

1. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    I've currently got an iamp350 head and a berg HT-112 setup and want to get a small, light, smooth sounding combo. I know no combo will sound as good as my current setup but since everything I play is thru the house p.a. I only use my small rig for home.

I'm sorta looking at the following combos
    1. Ashdown mag 15"
    2. Other Ashdown
    3. GK Micro 150E
    4. EA Whizzy 200
    5. Others

I wish ashdown had the ABM in a 12"

Anyone have any comments for comparisons among or between these combos? I like a smooth sound, not fizzy and not too wooly. Thanks for any comments.

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    And you can afford school how? :confused:

3. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    I've been out of school for quite some time so fortunately I don't have that expense. Just the house, kids, wife, cars and everything else. ;)

4. AJClone

AJClone

Mar 11, 2002
    Iowa
    Smash - do you think the Ashdown 300-110 can cover the low end as well as the bergie HT-112? I've not been able to play this amp and wondered about the low end response.

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Damn your misleading handle and avatar... :p

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    EBS makes some very nice small combos.

7. The GK MB150 is a killer combo. Deceptively loud and currently the lightest high end bass combo on the market. It only weighs 25lbs. There's no tweeter though so if you want all that fret buzz and stuff, this would not be the amp for you. If, however you like a nice round tone, then you'll love this amp. Probably not the best amp for a 5 string either. Upright players love this amp.

If you're looking for power, take a look at the GK 1001RB/115. In my opinion, the 15 sounds more like a 12 than a 15.