Combo AMP recommendations for 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ultramc, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ultramc

Jul 27, 2005
    McKinney, TX.
    Been Bassless for a few years - My loveley wife just surprised me with a 5 string bass for my Birthday. Now I just need a practice amp (nothing major). I wanted to ask the fair and biased in this forum of what would be the best combo-practice amp to go with. I have been searching Ebay but would like to narrow my search to maybe a select few models. Any help would be very much appreciated. Price range is around "Married with 3 kids and a mortgage".99. :confused:
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why not a nice headphone amp? its best for keeping my roommates and i sane at crazy hours.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA

I've cut over to just using a cafe walter and an Ipod here at home. It sounds better than a practice amp and keeps the neighbors happy (I live in a condo). Practice amps usually don't have enough power to play with a band anyway, so you end up needing to buy another amp if you want to start playing with other people anyway.
  4. mtirey

Aug 9, 2005
    Dayton, OH
  5. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    If it is just for jamming by yourself , Why not get a Peavey combo.
    They are relatively cheap and sound fine to get started.
  6. ultramc

Jul 27, 2005
    McKinney, TX.
    The local GC here in Dallas has a Crate BT25 for 199.99 that was recommended to me buy the salesman (right after the recommended $1200.00 wall of woof). Peavey - I have no prob with - But would a Crate be a better investment. And with a 5 string should I go with a larger speaker? I can see how I could be coming across ignorant and a novice on this issue - but I have to put pride aside since I will be eating wish sandwiches for lunch over the next few months after shelling any dough out. Thank you again for your input it is very much appreciated.
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Alesis Bassfire 60 (60 watt amp, 12" speaker). I have one of these. Handles a low B with ease. It's a good solid amp, has a built in tuner (also tunes down to a low B with no issue) and built in amp and cab modeling as well as a limiter/compressor, many effects etc. They can be had for under $200 shipped brand new.

8. ultramc

Jul 27, 2005
    McKinney, TX.
    Thanks for the recommendation - I will definitley check out the Alesis amp. It is definitley in my price range. Thanks again for everyones input...I hope that this post can help others in the same situation.
  9. ultramc

Jul 27, 2005
    McKinney, TX.
    Alesis Bassfire 60 or Hartke BT35??
  10. ultramc

Jul 27, 2005
    McKinney, TX.
    I mean should I get an Alesis Bassfire 60 or a Crate BT 25? - sorry too much web swim
  11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You know my vote. None of the ones you mentioned have the watts, speaker size, and features of the Alesis...
  12. I have a Hartke Kickback 12(at the moment NOT for sale, but this changes weekly)which IMO does the B-string pretty well at low-medium volumes. Got it used for $250, the average going price, I think.