1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

combo+amp rig settup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hamilcar, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Hamilcar

Hamilcar

Feb 7, 2008
    Hi guys, sorry if this is a dumb basic question but I need some help? I have an Ampeg B1-RE and a Yorkville y100b combo amp. I would like to play the B1-RE through the y100b, is this possible? If it is how do I set it up? Thanks I would really appreciate some help with this. I would experiment with it but I don't want to screw up my equipment. The B1-RE has, effects send and return, power amp in, pre amp out, and xlr out. The y100b has effects send and return, and 1/4" line out.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi Hamilcar,

I would recommend plugging your bass into the Ampeg as usual, then run a cord from the Ampeg's "effects send" to the Yorkville's "effects return." That will bypass the preamp on the Yorkville, so it basically acts like a powered extension cab. You'd control your volume and EQ from the Ampeg. I've done this often with the smaller combo next to the drummer, who always appreciates being able to hear me better.

M

3. Hamilcar

Hamilcar

Feb 7, 2008
    Hey Thanks Mushroo, would it work the same if I run the Ameg's preamp out to Yorkville's effects return?

4. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Both options (preamp out/effects send-->effects return) *should* be safe. I don't have first-hand experience with that particular combination of amps, sorry. Try both and see if you can hear a difference. Do the volume and EQ controls work the same both ways? The most important thing *NOT* to do is to run a cord from the Ampeg's speaker out jack to your Yorkville :)

5. Hamilcar

Hamilcar

Feb 7, 2008
    Ya they are almost the same except using preamp out>effects return allows the master volume knob on the ampeg to work whereas using effects send>effects return it doesn't. Thanks again for the help I didn't want to just start plugging things in here and there and have my stuff blow up on me.

Off topic:The Yorkville sounds nice and clean but the ampeg is pretty noisy would a noise gate help me with that or is there another solution?

6. Hamilcar

Hamilcar

Feb 7, 2008
    Hey,

I'm patching my preamp out to my effects return this works the way I want it to except it's pretty noisy. What is the correct type of cable I should be using for this connection?

7. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sounds like maybe you are using a speaker cable? Try a regular instrument cable instead.

8. Hamilcar

Hamilcar

Feb 7, 2008
    I'm using an instrument cable, not a speaker cable. any ideas on how to reduce the noise? I would like it to be as quite as when I use the combo only.

9. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I am sorry; I've never encountered that problem before so I can't be much help :-(

You say that the Ampeg is noisy by itself, so unfortunately if you use the Ampeg as your preamp into the Yorkville's power amp, the noise will be amplified; there's really no way around that. Have you tried reversing the setup so that you use the Yorkville's preamp instead?

My only suggestion for making the Ampeg less noisy is to mess around with the Gain and Master controls to get a better "signal to noise ratio." In other words, try turning the Gain up and the Master down, while keeping the same overall volume, then try it the other way (Gain down, Master up) and maybe you'll find a "sweet spot" where the noise is less. Good luck!