Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo amp shootout pt.2, I find a winner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jvbjr, Feb 8, 2005.

1. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Well last week I did a combo shootout at GC of Totowa, NJ and the clear winner there was the Mesa Boggie Walkabout Scout, but at $1149.00 for a singe 12" combo I was unsure if that was the right amp for me.

Let's start off with my list of needs/desires:

I want the slap tone of Kim Stone of the Rippingtons, or the guy from Dotsero (name?), as well as the fretless sound of Mark Egan. Not only do I want those tones from one amp, but they must be able to be done WITHOUT the need of me turning a single knob on the amp when changing between fretted and fretless basses. A rack unit built in like the SWR Super Redhead is a nice feature if it is available, and the amp MUST be able to handle a low B being slapped without farting or distorting, and it has to come in at or around the $1149.00 I can get the aforemention Boogie for.

Shootout #2 occurs are Ritchie's Music in Rockaway, NJ 1/7/05, 7:45PM.

First up, Ashdown EB series 180 watt amp w/ single 15" speaker. My friend that works at this store raved about this amp, so I tried it out. It was ok, it did everything I asked, but it was not tight and punchy like the 4x10 plus 1x15 Eden rig I had in the early 1990s. It was only about $325 or something, so it was cheap, but I wanted more thump and this amp was very smooth, might be good for blues but not my ideal.

Next up, Eden Metro. Channel one did everything I asked, I could have packed her up and left then, but the reviews and complaints of this amplifer's reliability scared me a bit, so I tried others.

Next up was an Eden combo with two 12" speakers, which surprisingly had troubles with the low B string, that ended that.

Next up was an Ampeg, vertical 2x10, steel grill, painted a pewter color. Could not handle the low B either, bye.

Next up, Fender Rumble 100 with single 15". This is the BEST bang for the buck bass amp I have EVER played, you can not lose on this amp. I felt this amp had it all over the Metro at 25% the price. For $350ish you can have a fantastic little amp that you can do gigs with that are not real loud, or a great practice amp. I would have bought two of these and set up a stereo rig if I did not come across the WINNER next.

The clear winner and an amp that eats up the Metro, the Boogie or anything else I've played on this quest is the Fender Pro 400 2x10. I never heard of this amp before, but it is great and for $900.00 it fulfills all of my needs. Amp has a bass and treble knob, then there are three other EQ knobs, one of which goes down to 25hz. I cranked the 25hz knob and added 10db of that bottom to test the speakers and it could handle it no problem. The other two knobs I assigned to low mids and high mids and scooped the tone out a bit. The amp also has an enhance button that adds a V curve pre-EQ to give a scooped tone. There is a global EQ that is called Room Balance that can make the amp brighter or darker depending on the venue w/o having to adjust each knob individually. There is also a built in compressor and single rack space that comes with a Korg rack mount tuner as part of the package, as in FREE. Has a mute for switching basses. This amp weighs 80lbs, not too bad. I have no idea why this amp is such a secret around here, but it is great and can handle almost any gig at 400 watts, is loaded with features and has a 5 year warranty, I am very satisfied customer so far. :hyper: With the knobs on my Pedulla six string basses I can alter basses without touching the amp at all and it sounds just as I asked before the shootout began, and is $400 less than the Metro that it left in its dust.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, great review! I have always liked the smaller Fender combo amps (I own and love a Fender RAD Bass), but I have not tried their larger amps for some time. My local store has one of these. While I prefer the seperate amp/cab approach, I may have to give this amp a go, just to hear how it sounds.

He shoots... he scores!

Congrats!

Tom.

3. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Upon reading the manual I just learned they offer this amp as a seperate head as well that seems to have one extra rack space as part of the head cabinet.

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Congrats on you r new purchase... A friend of mine swears by his Fendercombo..He has the single 15 version... I think its 200 watts....

Also I think your combo puts out 350 watts not the 400 stated.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've used the Fender pro 400 2x10, combo a few times as
    a backline amp, and have been completely blown away by
    this amp. Don't know how it sounds the farther away you
    get, but standing near this amp sounds good. This combo can
    make a Hondo P bass, sound like a slappers dream bass.
    It also gets really LOUD! I've just gotten spoiled on bringing
    41lbs of gear to most gigs. 80 lbs, sounds a bit hefty.

6. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    I am not actively gigging at this stage of the game, and if I were, it would be more as a guitarist where my rig weighs about 700lbs, so 80 is a fly weight. Anyway, for jamming with friends it is fine, it has casters and fits in the back of my Explorer w/o me having to remove the baby's car seat. :D