1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo Amp similar to SWR Basic Black

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wildboar, Jul 5, 2014.

1. wildboar

wildboar

May 29, 2014
    I used to own an SWR Basic Black and I sold it many years ago. Is there anything similar on the market today? I don't necessarily need as much volume as the Basic Black had but I really liked the tone. I was trying to track down a used one but they seem pretty hard to come by. Low-cost is also important. I would be interested in any of the more transparent sounding combos that don't compress my sound.

h2otorched likes this.
  2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    That combo does have a great tone.

What's your location?

=wr=

3. wildboar

wildboar

May 29, 2014
    I'm south of Grand Rapids, MI.

4. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    There's a Basic Black on eBay as I type!
    Good luck!

5. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    One -15 combo with power to cover lots of gigs as-is, but additional power for another cab when you really need it?

I vote for the closed-out Genz-Benx 115 contour, which can still be found on ebay for blow-out prices. It really sucks that Fender closed down Genz-Benz just as these combos were finding their place in the market. They could have been this decade's answer to the SWR Basic Black and Black Beauty, and to the Acoustic 126 and 136 combos that ruled way back in the day. Don't bother with the Markbass 15" combos - the GB sounds way better, to my ears. And blow-out prices are in the $350 range…what's not to like, if you still can score one?

6. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    wildboar...4 hours and change left to bid, I'm typing this at 12:16 am PST.
    I'm not involved in the sale, just trying to give you an update. : } ~

7. wildboar

wildboar

May 29, 2014
    Thanks for trying! I put a bid in and had to leave for work but it looks like I got outbid.

h2otorched likes this.
  8. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    I'm glad you got the chance...a step closer to manifesting your Basic Black! Be well.

wildboar likes this.
  9. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    Curious, wildboar do you know what thecwinning bid was for the SWR Basic Black?
    I think that is one of the top combos...tube preamp, 15" er, not too heavy, compact size!

10. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I miss my pristine Bassic [sic] Black stack.

For me, the Mesa Walkabout now does it. Light, compact, loud(er), and a greater range of tone. You probably won't get the ultra-clean SWR "studio" vibe with the Mesa though, but you can come close enough IMO.

The new Fender Rumbles look and sound fantastic. Also compact, light and loud.

h2otorched likes this.
  11. wildboar

wildboar

May 29, 2014
    I should have put in a higher bid. 9 minutes before the end I put in a bid for $200. The guy who won got it for $202.50 plus the $50 or whatever it was for s/h. Of course, I guess I don't know what he had his max bid set to.

h2otorched likes this.
  12. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    Ouch! That hurts! That's cheap though, I thought bids would be closer to five bills.
    Next time wildboar! I'll keep my eyes peeled for one for ya.

13. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal

Yep. The Mesa Walkabout is my new dream amp, although, I haven't played one yet. But, reading the positive comments here and knowing Mesa's rep. I'm wondering if the 15 is the way to go. I've always played thru them.
    Any thoughts, StayLow?

14. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I wouldn't say that the walkabout and the bassic black combo sound anything similar honestly. Both great combos but more different than similar IMHO. The SWR is way more "clean" although it isn't as clean as some of the amps that have come out since (example EA Iamp 800).

I wish I could find a combo that sounded like the bassic black combo but with more power, say the 300 to 400 watt range, and with an internal speaker that had more sensitivity. I've still yet to find an amp that sounds better with a fretless J than that combo did.

h2otorched likes this.
  15. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    ^ I have two of the 1x15 cabs, a 1x12 combo and a 1x12 cab.

The 1x15 is the cleaner sounding of the cabs, as the 12" has more of a signature given it's small box (especially the combo) but I prefer the 1x12 combo or a head with the extension cab (no cut out for the combo).

I agree they're not similar, but it's a different version of a fantastic very portable combo and similar structure - amp in back, small fairly square box, tweeter, ported. If you work with the EQ you can get close/clean enough for most. The 1x15 is less portable, and there isn't all that much difference really.

A very versatile rig is the 1x12 combo and a 1x12 extension. My fave permutation is the head in a Mesa head case on top of the extension cab, which gives you just a touch more "oomph" than the combo and looks real cool. If you want to get the little speaker off the floor, you can sit it on top of the amp in the head case. Works great.

Then if you need to stack the combo onto the extension it howls. All mine are currently 4 Ohm speakers, never a problem running two of them with the Walkabout head though frankly I've very seldom bothered to stack them. Most of my gigs are not rock or metal (then I stack or use something else) and all have PA support if I want it.

With just the combo I've played 5000-seat theatres using the combo as my stage monitor and amp DI to the board, same thing on large outdoor festival stages. Pop, funk, that sort of thing, with pro musicians onstage using responsible volume. The 12" fits in some of the smallest sports cars (inside) and hatchbacks (in the hatch).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    h2otorched likes this.
  16. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    Good to know..you have a sweet rig! I had read that the 15 combo sounded flabby, or less focused, which probably
    would be true...I haven't owned any passive radiator bass cabs, only acoustic guitar cabs with that technology.
    Sounds like the 12 would be plenty, and you're ahead with it's mobliity. I sold my SVT years ago, because it was such a pain to move, always waiting for someone to help boost the head atop the cabs!

17. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    The 15 does sound less focused, but also feels cleaner through the range especially if you don't bludgeon it with power. I run an LMII through one of mine and it sounds much cleaner than with the WalkAbout head, as you might expect.

The the new style Fender Rumble though. You might prefer it and save a mint. Happy medium between these rigs, I think, and still compact & loud with no compromise in quality or tone.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    h2otorched likes this.
  18. wildboar

wildboar

May 29, 2014
    Thanks! I expected it to be more as well. Maybe I can find a cheap Workingman's 15 at least. I know some people don't like them but I'm a fan of the 15 inch drivers.

h2otorched likes this.
  19. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    Fifteens, it's how I roll...started playing JBL D-140's ...Cerwin-Vegas...ElectroVoice...and back to JBLs!

wildboar likes this.