Combo Amp suggestions/experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mlwarriner, Oct 13, 2021.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    Need a combo amp for small/intimate-ish gigs (acoustic guitars plugged into a PA) as well as for add-on duties in cases where my main rig isn't enough. Playing loud/rowdy country with a rockish tendency.

Currently debating between the Fender Rumble 500, the GK MB-210 and the GK MB-212.

I've tried the GK Legacy (in head form) and didn't care much for it. So the Legacy combo isn't really on my radar.

Other suggestions? Portability/lightweight is a significant factor.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    What kind bass are you playing?

3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Checking on your profile info, I didn't notice if you play double bass... If you do, you're in the right place and you should get some appropriate loud combo amp answers pretty quick.

If you don't play double bass, you may want to have this thread moved to the TB/BG side of the world. You're in the TB/DB side currently.

mlwarriner likes this.
  4. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    Apologies for the out-of-date nature of my profile :)

Yes, I play double bass. Haven't really played electric in a few years or more.

Current setup is an old Kay bass with a Deuce bridge and Vic's Pickups. Amp-wise I'm running through a Headway EDB-2 HE into a Quilter Bassblock 800 and various cabs. (Still trying to find the right combination there.)

5. I'd get an old 800rb and crank it.

6. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    I suppose it's all relative, but most upright players would consider a 2 x10 or a 2 x 12 a bit excessive for small/intimate gigs. You might get better answers in the Rockabilly forum maybe?

7. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

I wasn't aware that the "old 800rb" ever came in a lightweight combo format :D

8. I just got the Mesa Rosette 1x10 combo amp. Includes a built in HPF, bass and treble controls with sweepable high and low mids, and digital reverb/chorus built in). There's also a switchable tweeter. Also has a tilt-back leg.

Amp was designed by @agedhorse who does Mesa's Subway series of bass amps.

Two independent channels, and channel one has both instrument and mic inputs (with phantom power for the mic).

9. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    For the money, I'm very happy with my Traynor SB 112.

Earl likes this.
  10. I have a Traynor 300T. If you can find one they are great amps. ~$400

11. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Well, I can tell you what I use; it's small and light, but I don't know if it would be loud enough for you...

For small-to-medium size venues inside or outside, I use a Roland Cube Bass RX. These little 15lb, 4 x 4" low voltage speaker, combo amps put out a magnitude more volume than their meager 5W rating would suggest; I've used mine with great success in inside venues with more than 100 people, and outside with more than 50 people.

The secret with these small combo amps is get them up off the floor so they aren't pumping sound into people's feet and legs. I try to get mine up at least as high as my belly button, higher if possible; I've bought a stand attachment but haven't put that together yet, so usually I bring along a stool or something like that to put it on.

This little amp has full EQ with compression, gain and various voicings. I usually use the MIC (clear) voicing with my DB, and then, if it absolutely isn't pumping enough sound out I try to point it at someone's voice mic so it gets fed everywhere.

This amp can use AC or battery (6xAA, I commonly get ~20 hours). I use mine with Wireless 2.4GHz TX/RC dongles so I have no cables running from my DB. (No matter how you amplify it, running wireless with a DB is wonderful!)

My DB chains are:
    Vic's Model C (Deuce) bridge wing => K&K Dual Channel Pro ST onboard pre-amp => wireless to wireless => Bass RX and/or FOH
    and/or
    Sennheiser e 604 mounted dynamic mic (clear) => wireless to wireless => Bass RX w/ impedance transformer and/or FOH

12. Drew Tanner

Drew Tanner Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Marietta, OH
    In my band’s rowdy settings (think string band with a punk drummer), my go-to combo is the Markbass CMD 121P. Add the NY121 extension cab, and you’ve got a formidable, relatively lightweight 500w 2x12 mini stack. Pokey LaFarge’s bassist Joey Glynn uses this pair, as well. My group’s previous bassist was using a GK MB-210 combo, I believe.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Steve Boisen likes this.
  13. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Yes, this is a great amp and affordable!

quickfix and AGCurry like this.
  14. Scott Freeman

Scott Freeman Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Alexandria, VA
    I've been having a lot of fun with a Tech21 VT200, with both electrics and db. It has a sansamp preamp built in, and even without the extension cab will hold its own for smallish rooms, although I haven't tried it with a loud drummer. No mic input, but nice tones using a K&K bassmax.

15. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I like this amp too. I only wish they'd add a switch to defeat the tweeter.

Drew Tanner likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Decent gear IMHO. I tend to like cabs with more of a full-range, flat-response with upright. I suspect I would really like one of the Genzler Bass Array cabs with your other gear.

Also I find it very helpful to use a bit of corrective EQ. The bass, pickup, amp, and cab sort of become a system. The frequency response will be impacted by natural resonance in the system and also by the feedback loop that forms as you turn up. High SPL coming from the amp will excite resonances in the room and instrument. The excited resonances will be emphasized. It can be very helpful apply a dip with EQ that mirrors the frequencies that are peaked. Optimally the more you turn up the deeper you need to cut. I find that the best tool is some sort of parametric EQ with the ability to select and dip very narrow bands. Essentially you have multiple notch filters. The (discontinued) Empress ParaEQ would be my choice.

17. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    Me too and I use it for my DB, EB and EUB (Yamaha SLB 200).

AGCurry likes this.
  18. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I also like the Markbass CMD 121. It’s light, loud enough for any gig I’m likely to play (with the additional NY 121 extension cab for really loud gigs) and sounds good both with upright and electric. My only gripe is that it doesn’t have a mute switch.

19. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    It's hard to go wrong with the Fender Rumble v3 series. They're light, well made, and -- from my experience -- reliable. Their sound is perfectly adequate and not a compromise. In a few acoustically challenging rooms I've used a preamp, but in most case I plug directly into my Rumble 100, fiddle with the EQ, and am completely satisfied with the results. It's not Mesa quality, but it also won't cost you $800.

20. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I gig Rumble 500 and love it
    Duke

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021