1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo-Amp Suggestions wanted!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chronicle, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Alright so i have a Rickenbacker 4003 ('06) and i want to take full advantage of the stereo capibility.

Now, i'm going to have a combo for my effects (the BOSS ME-50B) and get a Cab with a GK head for the clean. I'm pretty much down with a Peavey cab that i might be able to get from my bass instructor but i'm unsure what kind of combo i should get.

I looked at the peavey BAM but saw bad reviews for it.

Ampeg's i dont know much about but i hate how most of them have the amps in the back of the combo.. but if the sound is great i could care less.

i hear to stay away from Behringers lol

I would get a Mesa but my instructor said they are way too expensive and i would get better with that kind of money. He's a big time bass player so i do trust his word. He also says Peaveys make good amps/cabs. But so far i cant find a good peavey combo.

so any advice?

edit- anyone got any words on madisons?

2. ebay has A TON OF peavey heads and cabs not sure on combos but check ebay and make suret he dude has a good rating

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    eh i'd rather get my gear from respectable places =]

4. Go to musicgoround.com they have local shops set up all over US. I hope that is where you are from. Go to gear search and search by zipcode. They deal with used gear and most prices are very reasonable. If you can't find a local store they do ship to the 48 con states.

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    let's get back on the topic :help:

Any suggestions on the combos? I'll worry about finding where to buy it later.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, with the BOSS ME-50B, the BAM would be redundant as it already has the amp modelling and effects built into it. And whoever gave it a bad review isn't worth listening to. In over 25 years of playing bass (pro and semi-pro/part time) the ONLY amp I've ever regretted selling was the BAM210 combo. Awesome kick-ass head and cab combo.

Having said that, see if you can pick up a Peavey T-Max 210 combo. You can bi-amp with that head (using an additional amp), plus you can remove the head if you want. You can run that head down to 2 ohms and use it with a 210 and a 115, or 410 cab. Someone here on talkbass had a "like-new" T-Max head for sale recently. Do a search in the classifieds for it.

I have a T-Max head and will be using a Zoom B2 with it. I would have bought that guy's T-Max head in a heartbeat as my backup (that's how much I love the T-Max head) if I would have had the money for it.

Another avenue would be to get a power amp and a pre-amp and go seperates in a rack. It's actually easier to haul around seperates than a combo (and I've tried every combo made).

Look for used gear. If you do happen to come across a used BAM210, get it and sell your BOSS ME-50B, because you won't need the pedal.

7. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
  8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Definitely a good choice. GK has some killer stuff.

Oh, the T-Max combo has been discontinued, but you can find them used from time to time.

Do a search on some cabs here. You can run combinations of 210's, 115's, 410's with that GK head. Maybe just use the 210 alone as a practice/small gig cab, and add another one for bigger gigs. There are some newer neo cabs that are really light too...like Epifani. Those are feather light and kick out some great bass.

9. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    I have a Fender Pro 400 2x10 combo that I really like. I tried everything out there and I was not price shopping.

It has a global EQ, an enhance, a parametric EQ that can be switched in and out and a built in compressor, plus an effects loop and a single rack space. Since the rack space is so deep, depth of the amp, I have the provided Korg tuner in the front and a Rocktron Intellifex in the same open via the rear. I use the parametric for fretless and I turn it off for fretted.

Here is the full review I did on my combo quest:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164464&highlight=fender+pro+400

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    i think i'm going to get the peavey BAM, anyone disagree?

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Not me. Best damned combo ever.

That thing has VERY good amp modelling and effects, and it kicks some serious booty, even using just the 210's.

Add a 4 ohm 115 cab to it, and it will go to 500 watts into a 2 ohm load.

Yeah, it's heavy...but it kicks. It has a built in dolly with a collapsible handle built into it too. Those are not stock Peavey speakers in there. Peavey had Eminence make custom drivers for that combo. It also has an angled "kickback" style front.

I had it cranked with a pretty loud rock cover band (two guitarists) and it more than held it's own. When I added a 115 cab to it, the guitarists couldn't keep up.

You'll love it.

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    That Peavey BAM gets a lot of love in here. I like Peavey gear because it's built solid and is stone reliable.

Check out the gear review forum. Embelisher did a review on his BAM combo and he seems to think very highly of it. He plays some pretty high end basses through it. Check it out.