Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo Amp Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woofenstein, May 19, 2004.

1. Greetings! I'm looking for a small combo amp and was wondering if I could get everyone's input on my options... Here goes! These are my requirements:

Needs to be small! - mainly looking for a 1x10 combo, but a 1x12 might work also!

Needs to have an XLR or 1/4" line output!

Needs to be loud enough to jam w/ acoustic guitarists, and possibly use as a monitor in small ensemble scenarios

Needs to have quality construction...might possibly take a beeting as I'll be taking it everywhere I don't want to take my big rig...

And, since it's really just gonna be a practice amp, it needs to be approx $300....(that will limit the options!)

Anyways, if you have any suggestions that would be great! I don't want to spend a ton on it, so please no references to expensive amps!

I'm currently looking at the Yorkville XM50C - seems to fit the bill nicely...but if you have other suggestions, that would be great! Thanks!

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    SWR Workingman's 12. May be over $300 new but you can definitely score one for $300 or less used.

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Have you looked at the Ampeg BA110? I think the sound will compliment acoustic-ness very well. I'm pretty sure it has an XLR d-out but I'm not positive. Goes for $200 on MF, if you hit up GC you may be able to talk them down to around $150 and buy yourself two of them.

4. I think the SWR WM 12 will fit the bill very well except on price. It's loud enough for my rock band in the practice room and I take it for any small gigs. Also has a speaker extention out which I use for a 1X15 Yorkville that could play loud rock gigs. Have you tried the SWR WM 10? If you do get the Yorkville XM50C, I'd love to hear your comments on it,... it from the specs it looks like a great amp.

5. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Although I disagreed with Josh_m in another thread about the ampeg combos, I would recommend them for this situation.

Other suggestions would be the Roland DB-500. I was quite pleasantly surprised at how well this one big brother--the DB-700--projected, and filled even large rooms. From playing them, I was also just flat out impressed with the tone. I have seen some people here give these amps a bad rap. But I've played the DB-700 to points of great loudness that no combo should reach, and it did so in stride with no loss of tone, and it did not distort. From guys in the area that I've heard commenting on them, they have all said these amps are reliable work horses--this from guys that gig 6 nights a week. Though, I have read some reviews on the internet that people needed the warranty service faster than they thought. So I guess, weigh that one out for yourself.

As for just comparing sound quality, I would rate the ampeg combos above the yorkvilles, unless your talking about yorkvilles with the tube pre-amp.

Probably the sweetest sounding combo you could get would be the old ampeg poraflex 1x15. This amp is a tone legend, but don't expect to find one cheap.

I'm sure the opions go on a lot further than this. Your best bet is to probably locate a guitar center in the vicinity and go around playing all their stuff and comparing. Seems to me that they should have a good variety of small combos like you are looking for.

6. 1. Roland DB500
    2. Ashdown Mag Mon 200.

Both have a 12" woofer, sound excellent, and are very compact, loud 2.

Have the Ashdown for sale, the Roland is on hold. I am selling most of my gear, coming out with my own line.

If you want pics, please email me:

JSCHRO7376@MSN.COM

Oh, forgot, the ashdown: $385.00 plus shipping, made in England.

7. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    Would you guys say the Roland DB500 is a better buy than the Yorkville XM200? I can get them for about the same price (but the roland is factory resealed) and unfortuantely I can't find a place nearby that stocks either one.

8. Thanks for all the replies! This thread dropped like a rock when I posted so I thought nobody was gonna reply! I like the suggestion for the Roland bass cube, but unfortunately it doesn't have a DI out (damn Roland - otherwise it would be almost perfect...that is a NICE little amp!)...

The Ampeg would likely work just fine, but I'm not really looking for the Ampeg tone... I hadn't thought about the WM12 or 10 - They are both relatively small combos, too (especially the 10)...

Also, the Roland DB500 hadn't crossed my mind - Thanks!

Anyway, I also found the Ashdown Electric Blue 180 12...though it might be along shot as I just don't have any dealers nearby to try it! Might hop up to the music shops in STL and give the WM amps a try this weekend!

I HAVE tried the XM50 and they are REALLY nice little combos...and the size is fantastic!

9. Which would you recommend out of these two amps?

10. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    http://www.gear1music.com/yoxmbaam1.html

The Yorkville XM50 is a good sounding and very portable unit. Check it out.

edit: I just realized from your post above that you have tried the XM50. I live in St. Louis and I don't know of a music store locally that carries the Ashdown gear.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Another vote for the WM-12. You can get a really decent tone out of it, especially with a SABDDI at the input.

12. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i actually have a gallien krueger backline 110 that i use at home as a practice amp that i think sounds rather good. its a 1x10 combo with 70w of power. its about $259. i see them on ebay though sometimes for cheaper. sometimes they even have the backline 112 and which is a 1x12 combo with 100w of power.

13. Yeah - the closest that I'm aware of is in Springfield... You know - that is the exact same link that I'd found regarding the Yorkie! $100 less then everywhere else :) Maybe I can talk Fazio's into it :)

14. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    The SABDDI will make any average combo amp sound tons better and increase the output/perceived loudness factor. Also, you could go with a combo w/o the xlr output and use the one off the Sansamp. BTW, I would be curious if Fazio's Music would match the price on the Yorkville if you decide to go that way.

15. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I play an Ashdown EB combo (the 15") and I think it is a great combo for the price. My feeling is that it shines as a rock combo, but I know people use it for dub and r&b because of how deep it can go with the deep boost and sub-harmonizer. I think it's comparable to the Ampeg BA stuff, but I like it better mostly because of the options (di, speaker out, subharmonizer/octivder) and weight. Just depends on what sound you're after. It seems to have strong mids that cut well at high volumes; probably due to the shallow cab size and stiff speaker. That said, I prefer a deeper, smoother sound and find that cutting the low-mids and boosting the lows helps me get the sound I want. As cheap as they are now, I think it's worth a shot unheard.

16. yeah - me too....I kinda doubt it as the price is way less then anywhere else....but I can try! I'd rather buy local anyway just for the possible warranty issues...

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    couls try to find one of these:

Markbass 121 or Mini 121.

www.markbass.it

made in italy. superloud and i guess now available in USA.

18. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Hi: The Yorkville XM100C can also be had for about $300 if you shop around. That's the carpet covered version.

Nice sound, very clean and loud. 100 watts into 1 15" speaker, no tweeter. About 50 lbs and reasonably compact.

I got mine a couple of months ago, and am happy with it.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got the exact Ashdown Mag-mon 12-200 Jorg is selling...

as I posted in his classified ad.... If I didn't own one already, I'd buy his :bassist: