Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo amp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman134, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Hey,

I currently have a Peavey Mark VII head and a EV 4-10 bottom. I am looking for something a little more portable and a 15" speaker. I am playing in a modern rock cover band that plays small to mid-size bars/clubs. My plan is to get a combo amp that I can use my 4-10 with for bigger gigs, and use alone for practice and small places. The question is how many watts? I see these guys on here using 600+ power amps and such. I've been looking at the GK combo which is a 400rb with a 15, the ashdown stuff either the electric blue (150 alone 200 with ext. cab) or an ABM 300. Is this enough power? My Peavey runs at 160 with 8ohms but always seems a little under powered there have been times when I really need to crank it. Is 50-100 wats more going to buy me anything or do I need to bite the bullet and go for something like the SWR black beauty(350+)?

Thanks,

Scott

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'll recommend the GK 700RB/15. That should give you enough power(430 watts bi-amped with your 410 cab). Or you could get the 700RB/210 combo and run 6 10s on stage! The 15 will give you more bottom end. Might look strange with the 15 on top of the 410, though!

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There are only two bass combos worth considering. The SWR Super Redhead and the Eden Metro. Anything else is just pud.

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I think bassman said he was looking for a combo with a 15" speaker. Last I checked, the Redhead and Metro both came with 2x10 configurations. . .

Both of these combos are a bear to lug around; the GK is the only higher-powered combo that's not a total b*tch to transport. Comes with a cool retractable handle, too!

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Getting a combo with a 15 would be a GARGANTUAN mistake. Can you say TONE SUCKER?

6. Sorry munji, but I love the tone a 15 makes. Granted, I REALLY love the tone with 2x10 on top, but would rather play through a single 15 than a 2x10 combo. Also Ashdown combo's are pretty killer too. ;)

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Look at the Ampeg B2 combo & see if it works for you- Also Randall makes a 200W 1x15 combo that looks pretty cool.
    Mesa is coming out w/ M-Pulse combos, probably a 15 in the mix and these WILL sound awesome; don't know when they're due out though.
    I think one of the bigger Fender Bassman has a 15 as well. There ARE choices!:cool:
    Oh, yeah, what about Genz-Benz too?
    Or, if you can find a used or NOS Mesa Buster 15
    and don't mind lugging 100 lbs around, you will
    never have to worry about being underpowered!

8. If I were you I'd try the EBS Gorm combo with a 15' speaker + tweeter. Might be harder to find than the 2x10 or 4x10 models though.
    Also, the Drome is available with a 15 incher as well, but it's not as powerful as the Gorm.

9. Hey thanks guys, you know I stopped at guitar center last night to check some out and after I waited about 15 minutes for this 15 yo kid to stop beating the hell of a warwick, I played some 15" combos. I tried a B-2r through an ampeg 15(they didnt have the combo but I figured its close enough) and a workingmans 15. I used a stingray 5, which is what I play and to say the least, I wasnt impressed. Not only that, but its really not much less to lug around. I think I have gotten so used to my 4-10 nothing else will do. I also had my first official band rehearsal with my new band last night and the singer couldn't stop raving about my sound, that the tone was so awesome. I have to admit, since getting the 'ray I've been diggin it myself. I think I'm gonna pass on this GAS for now, once I start gigging with these guys, then I'll see if I need more power.At that point I may just look at heads. thanks for the tip on the EBS, I had never heard of them before.

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Soooaaahhhhh, none of those 15's turned you on, huh? Only a 410 will do, huh? Hmmmm ... how can that be? Could it beeee ...

TONE SUCK?

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Some of us like the sound of 15's!

Anyways, I agree with Munji on the Eden Metro, but I would also like to add that the Nemesis 2-10 is incredibly light and has enough power for any small gig, and most big gigs as long as you're miced through the PA. It has killer tone to, despite what Munji might say. I dare say it competes with Eden (its made by them). I recommend you check them out.

Peace
    Nick

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have one of these boxes and with 225W going into 4 ohms, it works well alone in 150-person venues, and as a stage monitor in larger places. While it's as bulky as any 2X10", it weighs only about 50 lbs, which is less than what a lot of 2X10" cabs weigh alone. It has a very versatile preamp section (more features than I have need for) and as many ins and outs as you could possibly want. Best of all, it's cheap as hell and makes a nice place to sit down between sets.

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    EBS combos don't have an ext. speaker jack, you'd need a separate power amp to drive your 4x10".

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Or if more low range is wanted, perhaps the Nemesis 2x12 combo? I think 2x10s usually sound bit thin alone.

15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Yeah, I guess those 15 combos must suck!
    No tone,, etc. What a ridiculous concept-
    A good-sounding combo with a15" speaker ! Ha!
    hey, wait......

PORTAFLEX B-15!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!:D

16. Boy I really started a debate here..lol.... You know I never said it sounded bad, just that I wasnt impressed... The second part of my question was will 50-100 watts more power make a difference? Nobody answered that. My peavey head puts out 250@ 4 ohms. What does that translate to @ 8ohms? I could save my self some money and just pick up a 15 cab instead.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually, IMO that is one of the worst combos you could get.

Its loud enough for quiet practice volumes, but from experience working with a band who's bassist used one, I can tell you that it doenst have enough power to be loud enough for micing on stage.

I used his amp on several practice occassions, and we had to tell the drummer to play softer so we could all turn down and I could be heard.

I didnt like the tone either, but I dont really like any Ampegs. Many people do though.

Peace
    Nick

18. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Just keep in mind that it takes "10 times the power or wattage" to double the volume that you or any other human will hear. Keeping that in mind, would you be willing to go from 100 or so watts to 1000 or more watts? Do the clubs you play in have a P.A. system you can plug into? Would it be easier to add an extention speaker to your system?? More or larger speakers will mean moving more air in a certain venue, so more bass response will be heard given the same power input.http://www.boydbasses.com

19. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Re: B-15
    Hey Nick, let's see what we got here:
    If you play in a band where you feel that you have to be loud to do your part, that's one thing; but playing for tone, now that's another.
    The re-issue B-15 has 100 watts TUBE RMS & can use an extension cab-It also has a DI- If that is still not loud enough, right on, you need another amp-
    But- if the bass playing requires serious musical qualities than there isn't much on the market that sounds better than a B-15. Its perfect for the studio, perfect for R&B, sounds great for an upright or upright-llke tone on Fender bass.
    Probably wouldn't sound good with someone pounding out pentatonic scales, & the blue tolex doesn't match well with spandex and/or piercings.
    :D

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Wow, those are some crazy asumptions.

You know what they say about assumtions right?
    Well I feel fine so I guess it only worked one way this time.

I developed most of my playing style from players like Jammerson, John Paul Jones, and Robert DeLeo.

I dont think that really fits the description of me you give, but if you think it does, I guess thats fine. You dont know me, so I dont care what you think about me since it is obviously bassed on nothing factual.

What I was trying to say is that it wont hold its own at a medium sized club competing with the onstage noise of 2 half stacks which is the situation I saw it forced to put up with. I dont need to be loud to play my part, just loud enough to be heard instead of just seen. I dont like to DI, Id rather mic since I think that it sounds better.

BTW, I play the ultimate Fender bass. G&L L-2500, Leo Fender's last creation before his passing.

I also covered my homemade 2-15 bass cab in blue tolex, and the Nemesis I recommended is covered in a blue tinted carpet covering. What looks have anything do do with a real bassist I dont know, But I thought I should let you know that blue doesnt bother me.

Peace
    Nick