Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo amp to use as a monitor! Help?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bikeplate, May 22, 2003.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I hope some of you will chime in and help me out. My latest gig is an interesting one. We don't use amps on stage. We all go direct and use in-ear monitors. I use a Sadowsky DI box and the sound is great out front. I can't get a good tone(of course) through my in-ears so the other night I brought my little Carvin 100 practice amp along as a joke. It actually sounded pretty good behind me. I don't want to continue to use the Carvin but I do want to continue to have a small combo amp along with me. Any recommendations? I'd like it to be tough and light but it doesn't have to have alot of features(compression, DI capabilities). Thanx. I look forward to hearing from all of you!!

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Check into the Hartke Kickback 10,12 & 15 monitor style combos. Also Ashdown had a MAG 12 monitor style combo that was excellent. You can find the Hartke's on eBay and in the used market daily for reasonable deals.

Hope this helps. -Vinnie

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hmmm - if you liked the Carvin, why not just keep using it? It's small, light and tough, you can hear it, and it sounds good to you.

There are other small/light combo monitors, eg. Tech 21 Wedge, SWR Workingmans 10, GK MB150, but they all either weigh as much as the Carvin, or are more expensive, or (IMO at least) don't sound as good.

4. i have heard bad things about the hartke kickback line....

check www.bgra.net

good insight.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've got a Genz Benz 200W tiltback 1x12 that I use for a monitor at club gigs (it's forsale ;)). It's got a pretty modern, clear sound. GB has the same thing in 1x15 and 2x10 as well. I had an older GB combo (135 W) that was also very nice.

I remember seeing Ashdown tiltbacks and Ampeg tiltbacks in addition to the already mentioned Hartke.

6. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    My situation is very similar, we also use in-ears. try leaving one ear out, it helps as to catch some low end off the mains our drummer use’s a Roland kit with the Roland monitor system. I have found that the fender bassman 25 works great for this type of gig. It has the tilt back feature so it actually looks like a monitor and is lightweight, it handles the B string quite well.

Hope this Helps
    :bassist:

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    i have the hartke kickback 12. great amp for what your looking for. i now use a bergantino 112 and it works much better but ive had great luck from my kickback. my modulus sounded bad through it but my fender sounded great. might want to try you bass first to see how it will do.