Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 7Stringer, Dec 8, 2003.

1. I'm in need of a 2nd amp and am considering a combo. It has to be capable of getting over a hard hitting drummer and/or 2 guitarists, but also something I could play in a more mellow setting and have a focused, tight growl. I've been considering amps along the lines of a SWR Redhead, a Carvin combo, Mesa Boogie, or a David Eden combo. But I have never played through any of them and don't have a good opportunity to do so.

My current rig is a Hartke 7000 with 2 Hartke 4 10's which is *not* pleasant to haul around, but has more headroom, tone, and low end than I could ever wish for. Perfect for one of my projects, not so for the other.

Let me know what you've played through, what you recommend, most bang for the buck, etc.
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Anything from Yorkville. Good quality, good tone, excellent value.
  3. Howdy 7Stringer. I love the Eden combos. Check their web site for specs to see which one would fit a 7 string bass. I had the same dilemma last year. I ended up with a Roland DB-700 that I got for $699 at Sam Ash. I saw a brand new one on e-bay 2 months ago that went for $350. I've used it gigging a lot and it is a nice, loud, easy to move amp. It does weigh 75lbs, but it is small and has good handles and castors. I considered the Eden CXC 400 series with one 15" and a coax 10". Saw one at Bass NW for $800, but I wasn't quick enough. Of course, my secret weapon is my 24lb GK MB150E that I got on e-bay for $450. It's not quite loud enough to go over a hard rock drummer and 2 guitars, but almost everything else. You are facing the eternal bass dude dilemma. Small, cheap, loud. I like the Roland because it's built like a tank, has lots of tone options, good set of ins/outs on the back, and the price was right. It's pretty easy to get a good growl with the Roland tube emulator.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ampeg BA210 kicks butt. It would be perfect for your "mellow" settings. They can be had for $650 brand new. When I go to my local music store, I always play on theirs till they tell me to stop. I foolishly spent my cash on a power/pre set-up. I wish I had that BA210.

5. Thanks guys! Anyone have any Redhead reviews to give? Never thought about the BA210, but that should also be added to my list. Just saw one leave eBay for about 550...
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you don't mind dropping $1300 on a combo, the Redhead is quality. (assuming you like the SWR sound) I borrowed a Metro a couple of months ago. It sounded like Eden. I just don't like Eden.

A redhead weighs at least 75 pounds, but it is also 350 watts. You mentioned two guitars and a hard-hitting drummer. No 100 watt combo is going to cut it. The BA210 is 220 RMS and does sound, well, like Ampeg. I like it. You may not.
  7. You owe it to yourself to check out the new Fender Bassman 400 Pro. When I was in the market for amp this summer, I test drove the New Fender, SWR Redhead, Peavy BAM, Ampegs....etc. I did not have an opportunity to play the Metro. The Bassman 400 Pro impresses. It sounded as good, if not better than the rest and costs under a $1K. Six months later and I'm still impressed when I play out with this combo.

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You should also check out a Peavey BAM210 before you buy anything.

I used to own an Eden Metro. That is their best, and the only one I would own. It got stolen. I preferred it over the SWR Super Redhead.

About 6 months after I bought my Metro, I tried a BAM210 in a local Peavey dealer. Man, I was blown away. It handled the low B better than my Metro(which handled it better than a Super Redhead) and I liked the basic tone of the amp more.

I was wishing that I could get a BAM, but there was no way that I could justify owning two big, loud combo amps.

Fast forward a couple of months, some jerk made my decision for me. They broke into my van, parked outside of my church and stole my Metro, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Thank God my insurance paid to replace the Metro. But I did not buy another Metro. I ordered a BAM fresh from the factory through a local dealer, and haven't looked back since. I wouldn't mind having my Eden back, but it would not get used near as much as my BAM. I would probably just leave it at church, and use the BAM for gigs and rehearsals.

The built in effects and modeling are nice to have if you use them(I do) but even without those, IMHO this amp kills the Metro and Super Redhead.
  9. The new Fenders look really interesting and there's a tuner built in? Pretty cool. Peavey? I guess all those years of bad products has soured my taste, but if you're comparing it to an Eden, then I better have a 2nd look! :eek:

Cost is not an issue I just want something of high quality and HUGE tone if possible. I don't mind it being heavy either. Most bang for the buck is where it's at for me. The rigs gotta be able to handle my Roscoe's B string at a decent volume :D
  10. embellisher

Here is the info on Peavey's website, so you can read up on it.

Everybody has a different preference for tone, but IMHO it sounds better than the Eden, as good as the SWR, and handles the low B better than both.

I really like the Super Redhead, but every one I have ever played farted out badly on the low B at medium or higher volume. Never had that problem with my Eden. But it was noticeably quieter below low D. The BAM goes all the way down to B, and speaks with authority.

You might not like it as much as me, but I would strongly recommend that you demo one before you buy anything.

I guess you can tell that I love mine!:D
  11. The Peavey BAM is very, very good; it just wasn't my thing. Don't the Peavey judge it with name/snob appeal.

The tuner is not really built into the Fender. This combo sports a single rack space like the SWR Redhead. Fender is including a Korg DTR-1000 as a promo. This tuner is one of the best ones I've ever used for bass. I love the sound, power and functionality of this combo.

Is it perfect? no. I posted some quibles about the Bassman at that other place

If I had to buy another combo today I'd buy the Bassman 400 Pro again :)

ps: no company affiliation, just a happy Bassman 400 Pro user.
  12. UGH! :eek: Farting out can never happen! Is that really the case with the Redhead at high volumes? If so, there's no way I'm going in that direction, I'd beat that poor thing to death.

Both the Fender and Peavey look appealing and the price is in the same range. Thanks for those tips so far guys!
  13. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You might also want to check out the Gallien-Krueger 700 or 1001RB 210 combos. High power, especially with an extension cab, the same speakers as in their RBH series cabs and great tone. Plus, they only weigh like 75-85 pounds, less than just my cabinet! Bear in mind, these amps were recently redone with more power, better wiring and all that good stuff so the new ones, which go for about 1100-1200 on MF, are prolly a safer bet than the older ones. Good luck man, hope you like it, let us know what you get!
  14. embellisher

That has been my experience with the SWR. You might want to check one out for yourself, though. I have played through 4 new ones(3 at GC, one at Mars{RIP}) and two used ones. Maybe they were all lemons. But that makes them 0 for 6 IME. I am sure they would perform better with an extension cab, but so does the Metro and the BAM. And that kind of defeats the purpose of using a combo, anyway.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just get one smaller cab if lugging a single 4-10 is still too much...a 2-10, 1-12, 1-15 whatever and use your 7000 head to drive it. A lot cheaper than laying out the $$$$ for something like a Redhead.

Modularity is the best way to go. That way you carry only as much as you need to.
  16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    No. But the idea of a 103 pound "combo" doesn't sound too attractive. You're better off with a head and cab at that point. Easier to carry and easier to get in and out the carrier vehicle.

I did have a series II R600 and Carvin 410 8 ohm cabinet. It sounded pretty good, but it was not at all loud using one side and would protect mode when you pushed it hard bridged.
  17. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Duh. I'm going to have to consider some 2 10s now!!!

Mesa? Bag End? El Whappo?
    What's the best!?¿!
  18. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    I have tried the combo 400 PRO, and liked it a lot. Fender is the tone I prefer.

I am on the market for an amp, and will most likely buy this one. I am not sure how it compares to the new 400 PRO HD plus the new 2x10 cab, I guess it wouldn't be very different, or the head and the new 1x15, why not...

The advantage of the combo is the tuner, that comes for free with. Anybody knows for how long Fender will offer this option?