Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by magdalena, Mar 26, 2001.

1. I'm going to be playing electric bass for my high school jazz band this year, and i'm looking for an amp that would be small and portable, but loud enough to be heard. The jazz ensemble is fairly large- about eight trumpets, six trombones, four alto saxes, two tenor saxes, a clarinet, a flute, a keyboard, and a drummer on kit of course. I have a 400watt combo with a 15 inch speaker, but it weighs 80 lbs, and i don't want to have to haul all of that access weight around when i'm only going to turn the volume knob up to one or two. What suggestions would you have for an amp i could easily carry (under 50 lbs. preferably) and would have a very good quality sound? If you have no specific amp models, how many watts? what size speaker would you recommend?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hmm... if you only turn up the knobs to two on your 400 W rig, then I suppose 100 W would be enough. Here are some sub-50-lb options to consider:

Low-priced:
    [​IMG]
    Carvin PB100-15, $299 direct (www.carvin.com), 100 W, weight 49 lbs.

Mid-priced:
    [​IMG]
    SWR Workingman's 12, $529 list, 100 W (with extension speaker 120 W), weight 47 lbs.

[​IMG]
    Hartke Kickback 12, $599 list, 120 W, weight 42 lbs.

Expensive:
    [​IMG]
    EBS Drome (12"), $1,249 list, 150W, 37 lbs. (sorry about the picture, it's one of thos transparent GIF's...)

3. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Is the head easily removeable from the cab? If it is, that will free up some weight. Granted you'll have to carry them sepratly. Do you have casters on your amp? As long as your not rolling through 70's shagg carpet or grass they'll go a long way. What Amp do you have? The carvin PB 200-15 is nice and would be my choice. I have the Carvin 2x10 redeye combo and it's light for it's size and even though it weighs 75 lbs. it's handels are placed so it balences when when you carry it and makes feel like it's only 50 lbs. Most of the time amps feel heavy because they're awkword and hard to handle. Oh yeah, I've played the swr workingmans 10, 12, and 15, they all sound great but they weren't loud enough for me.

4. Jonathan Block

Jonathan Block

Mar 24, 2000
    CT, USA
    Ashdown new Electric Blue line are 130 watts, light (12-inch is 36 lbs. and the 15-inch is 41 lbs.), and get loud. They are also less than $500.

5. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I sincerely recommend that EBS drome. They sound sweeeeeet, they work great in studio, have tons of features and sound great what ever you plug into it. But yes, it's vey pricey for the power. But with it you'll never need a new recording preamp, headphone amp, practice amp, upright amp or just a small/ medium gig amp etc. Go read the reviews from www.bassplayer.com

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A Stingray 4 sounds can sound excellent through an old Polytone Minibrute III. Portable, killer tone, reasonable but not loud volume.

Do you have a budget?

7. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just stopped by and noticed Oysterman's post.. A 100 watt w/ a 15 for $300 How good is the Carvin?? (sound quality, Loudness,etc.??)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What weight can you actually deal with? The "under 50lbs." really limits your choices and I can think of a very nice, affordable 65 lbs. amp.

No...I don't own Ampeg stock;)

9. I'd like to keep the price under $500, but i've never heard of a Polytone Minibrute III, when were these made, or are they still making them? Where can i get more information on them? When i say under 50 lbs. i don't mean exactly, i just mean easy enough for me to handle on my own without straining my back- the 80lb. combo i have is certainly an armful, i want something easier to lug around than that. Thanks for all of the replies so far, they're helping a lot.

10. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Go look run a search on talkbass for carvin amp threads. There's tons. Theyll tell you all you want to know about carvin amps.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    They are good amps for the price. I love mine... The PB100 is not that loud, but at the lower volumes it sounds good.

Of course loud to me maybe different than loud to you. My guitarist plays through a ampeg 4x12... that would beat the crap out of that little amp and I would never be heard... on the other hand my guitarist used to play through a 1x12 combo amp. That PB100 would be fine to play against that.