Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Hi All

Im thinking of getting a new combo amp. It will be used for rehearsing and maybe small gigs. I have about $600AUD ($300USD)

Im thinking maybe a used Peavey TNT or TKO, Ashdown Electric Blue or a new Hartke 90 or 120 watt.

What do you all think of these amps?
    And more suggestions would be helpfull as well.

And if there is anyone from Melbourne Australia where are some good music shops where i can buy used equipment?

Thanks Spike

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would recommend at least 150 Watts, but 200 is a safer approach.

Check out Nemesis amps by Eden. Theyre great lightweight, sturdy, inexpensive, and incredible sounding. I forgot to mention that they are relatively cheap. Im not sure what the price or availability is in Australia, but if Eden is available so will Nemesis. Go to www.edenelectronics.com for more info.

Peace
    Nick

3. I just had a look at the prices of Nemesis amps at an Australian Bass site and the NC-210 combo was $1850 so im guessing all these would be to expensive even used
    Thanks for the feedback though

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not sure how that compares in American dolars, but here, the prices are pretty low. To my knowledge there is not a large used market for these. Im guessing its because no one wants to get rid of them, or few people know about them.

Thats the actual amp I got. I paid about $470 I belive for it in American dolars.

Sorry I cant help more.

Peace
    Nick

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I've only experienced two of those you suggest. I have used Peavey TNT amps and considered buying one many years ago - a lot of amp for your money. However, recently I augmented my Trace rig with an Ashdown Electric Blue 130 -15. Whow, it's quite an amp. Almost as powerful as the TNT and about half the weight. It also sounded real good just with the amp set flat. It works real well for rehearsal a,d has a DI in the front panel to take it out to the PA for bigger gigs (although if the gig were that much bigger I'd use my Trace rig!)

Can't tell you much about the Hartke stuff - sorry!