Combo ? Ampeg VS. Gallian Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hounddog, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    I need to choose between Gallian Krueger 400 RB stack Combo and Ampeg BA 210SP. Both have 2 10 " speakers weight doesnt matter. I will be playing a 4 string Peavey Cirrus with Bubinga top wood with a Pau Ferro fingerboard. I only care about tones. Highs and lows. I like a very powerful punchy sound. Please help me decide which is the best Amp for me.
  2. Get the Ampeg.

Also try out the Yorkville XS400t

But if you wan't even more warmth, you want the Nemises 210 or 115. These are all reasonably priced.
  3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    O God get the Ampeg! The GK Combos are appalling! Besides, there is a fundamental difference between GK and Ampeg amps. I think GKs are more for people who want a more macho sound -- people who don't care as much about punchiness as they do about pronounced mids, low lows, and growl. Ampegs will give you a punchier sound because that's what they are for, the crowd of bassists who want the punch over the growl.

4. First off, I owned a GK 400RB 2x10 combo with a 4x10RBH under it. This was my main stage rig for over a year. IMO (my main gig is straight ahead Rock) that rig blows out ANY Ampeg combo. As far as punch. There is no lack of punch coming fron that rig. With high and low mid controls as well as a contour control there are plenty of ways to get punch AND growl. I do not think that a lack of punch is a problem on behalf of the GK.
  5. Granted GK is not for tone freaks. ( I see you are selling your pretty cheap)

To me "growl" is more than mid-rangy bass. Growl is hard to describe. But I do not think of GK to describe Growl.

The Ampeg, Ashdown, Nemises or Yorkie 210 combos are the ticket.
  6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    What?! I personally love GK and prefer it over ampeg!!
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    All I can compare is my Ampeg preamp with my GK MB150 at this point. I've used both going into the same cab. I can tell you that the ampeg sounds great for fingerstyle. But, GK's sound is the clear winner for fretless and slap.
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well its all a matter of taste I suppose, but in my estimation, I liked the Ampeg combos better. I have a B-100R myself, and chose it over a couple of GKs I was looking at. I went into the store to get a GK, came out with an Ampeg, I just prefered the tone. I will say, between the GK and the more Modern sounding Ampegs, it was a toss up, but the B-100R had a bit more vintage tone to it than the others I was looking at at the time.
  9. I LOVE my GK head, and dont care much for the lower line of ampeg amps, but if put to choose between the 400rb combo and the ampeg BA210SP I think the ampeg would get the nod because of the different effects/styles you can dial in, it gets loud enough compared to some of the smaller ampegs. Only gripe is that the grill cloth doesn't seem like it would hold up to gigging or offer much protection to the speakers.
  10. softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    i similiarly went into the store to just LOOK at the GK's and i ended up walking out with an ampeg. the tone and punch was outrageously bettre. but i guess you would have to do the same an line em up next to each other and try em both for a while.
  11. BIG -1 IMO.

GK makes awesome combo's. from 400 right up to the 1001 series. You have a great bass, that already has a great tone the GK will really allow you to put that forward in the mix, where as an Ampeg would be abit more coloured (you may or may not like this)

Personally i think a GK combo goes head to head in punch factor with any ampeg combo.

Great thing about GK, when used properly, you can punch and growl at the same time, but again, different people have different ideas on what growl/punch is...

I have a GK-400-210.. freakin awesome combo for the price. all the way with GK!!
  12. I had that exact same question too. It's what brought me to talkbass in the first place. But the thread stayed alive for a couple weeks, and there is no answer you can get from people here. Both are excellent amps (in my opinion) and kinda close to each other when it comes to quality. What i did to make my desision, just go to a store and try them out, other wise both are fare game to me. ... I picked the GK though, its alittle bit more versitile from what i've heard but the ampeg has a very nice tone...

Just go try them out and see what you like best.
  13. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What everyone is saying here is GK's are more punchy and pronounced than Ampegs, this is because of the slower moving cabs that ampeg makes. These cabs are great for low lows and loud playing but are less articulate than some of the faster cabs that are out there. ampeg has been around for a long time and will always have a following that will buy them because it's an Ampeg (sorta like bragging rights) but with most styles of music with few exceptions (rock for one) it's all about the mix and fitting into more of a group sound (or setting) with everyone playing at moderate volumes. By playing like this it is more important to have equipment that is subtle and tasteful and not to sound overpowering on everything you play. Now when it comes to GK people call them sterile or too clean, it's funny when we shop for a tv set we want a clear as possible picture and not alot of color fuzz. When we buy a stereo we want a clear (think Bose) as possible across the spectrum of sound as possible,we also want deep bass but not at the cost of muddying the rest of the recording. To me that's what GK does! it's not limited to loud and low (which is not always a bad thing) but gets old kinda fast. GK allows the character of you bass to shine through.
    I personally rather be told my bass sounds good and not my amp sounds good. My amp is used to amplify my bass and I play basses for the way they sound and not the way the amp sounds I think thats the mark a a good amp. YMMV. :)
  14. Ah Ha

Ha Ha---Ha

You got in TROOOOOUBLE! :spit: