Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo amps (Ash, york)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rathervague, Nov 1, 2004.

1. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Here's the deal. I've been looking at combo amps for a little while, doing my research, and the two that sounded like they would be good are the yorkville xs400(t? which one?) and the ashdown MAG c210(or 410?).
    The Ashdown does come at a better price, the problem is that I don't have the chance to play either of them.
    I play a little bit of everything on my four string but mostly blues and rock.
    I want your opinions, what would be the pros and cons of each?
    BTW, I believe that the bass that will be played on it is going to be a G&L ASAT or L2000.

2. the ash will give you more meat and potatoes sound- a warm midrange and a simple preamp.

the yorkville has 100 more watts, hip styling and a tweeter for more versatility.

You might like the ashdown better for warmth.

I think both offer great value. But ashdowns are easier to sell because it is instant name brand recognition.

3. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Will I be able to get a warm tone with the yorkville? Which will be moe durable? I still can't decide, thanks for your input though. Anyone else have anything to say about these? That amp in the last post is way out of my price range (looks cool though).

4. what's your price range? email me if you want me to hook you up with an authorized dealer in florida either ashdown or yorkville.

the guy I buy from charges 20% over dealer costs, which is pretty good. So you can figure what it would costs by getting the following formula

MSRP divided by 2 + 20% + shipping = your cost

He is an "authorized", which i think is important when buying new stuff- ashdown, yorkville, eden and ampeg. I just bought thomastik strings today and bought yorkville PA speaks about a month ago.

5. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    This sounds so great and I am very very thankful!
    My price range is about 650 (the Yorkie is a stretch)
    I just PMed you because it doesn't allow me to email you. You can email me at pmmeifyoureallyneedit.

6. The Yorkville XS400 combo is a great little combo with good power and sweet sound.

7. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    How does everyone feel about the yorkville's warmth? I want something pretty dynamic but a classic, warm sound would really be a huge plus.

8. There is a thread started on changing the preamp tube in that amp. What's cool is you can actually experiemnt with different tubes to help you get your brand of warmth. What's the going price on the XS400?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm getting my XS400 for $720 CAD, which should fall nicely into a $650 USD budget. I can get a pretty warm sound with it, but I've also been using a Yamaha BB404 fretless with Thomastik JF344's...which is pretty darn warm in itself.

10. Is yours without the tweeter? Your talking about the 210 or 115? Nickel strings also warm things up, along with passive pups.

11. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida

Hey Angelopb I see your in the Tampa area. Hook me up with your dealer. Is he in our area? Drop me a PM if you don't mind.

12. I just emailed you. I forgot to add that I just bought an new eden cxc110 which was less than $650 delivered. That piece retails for $1,100+. The head alone (time traveller 330) retails for $1,000.

Now I need a matching eden cab. Should I get the 10 or a 15? I am thinking the 10.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Only comes with tweeter, and it's the 115. The 210 is just about $100 list more.

14. Yeah I found out the scoop. They have a carpeted 210t (means it has a tweeter). The vinyl version is like 50 bucks more. But he can get teh 210t carpeted under budget, and just add the 15 ext cab when he needs it. These look like decent amps. WOuld love to hear a sound clip of it.

15. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ashdown all the way.

16. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    I'm just worried about the power of the ashdown being enough. Arg. Will 300 watts be enough for loudish music?

17. This is where the power supply comes in. You want as much "headroom" as possible at 4 ohms, not 8 ohms. Because 300 watts with 3-4db more headroom is going to sound less strained than 400 watts with 1-2db. You look at the "damping factor" higher is better. But I am out of my league here. All I can say is that the 300 watt 410 combo will smoke the 400 watt 210, all things being equal. Because the more cone area you have radiating, the louder it is. Each equal size driver you add will make more of a difference than that extra 100 watts.

But I think you really need to take your bass and try out these amps and not pick by the numbers. The yorkie 210 probably doesn't put out 400 watts unless and until you add that extra 8ohm cab. I would think either the ashdown 210 or the yorkville coubled with a 15" cab will give you the plenty.