1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo amps: Fender Rumble or GK MB 210: which series is better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sean775, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm thinking of upgrading from my 200 Watt Rumble. I'm wondering if I should buy a 500 watt Rumble, or check out the 600 watt GK.
    Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the Rumble series, although I feel like the sound it produces is a little more plain/boring than most other bass amp brands, if that makes any sense.

bassman74 likes this.
  2. What makes sense, is what makes sense to you.
    No one else can tell you what you like.

I have the Rumble 200 combo, and like it, but have not tried the GK.
    You should try the Rumble 500 as I understand there can be a bit if a sound difference due to different speaker configurations mostly, I suspect.

I also have not played the GK, but even if a I had, I could only give you a colored version based on my feelings.
    So try that one out if you can. If you can find both in the same store and A/B them, all the better.

What I have read here is that you can probably expect the Rumble and GK to sound quite differently from one another.

What's the model of the GK you mentioned that is 600 watts?

bassman74 likes this.
  3. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Supporting Member

May 30, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    I used to work for GC and sold both. I like them both but for me I bought the GK. The Fender to me did the vintage sound great but that was it. The GK has a much more clean sound. I can tweak the GK and get a vintage tone but I could not get a clean tone from the Fender. To me the GK has more volume. I can take my little 112 to practice and have no problem keeping up with 2 loud guitars, a drummer and key board. It really comes down to vintage or clean. Good luck on your search.

jchrisk1, Buzz E and bassman74 like this.
  4. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I like both
    That is a good question: Vintage or clean. What do you do if you like both?
    When I’m playing thru a GK or thru my d-800 I miss that vintage roundness. When i’m Playing thru a Rumble I miss the tight low end coming from a GK.

I tried and liked Markbass because of that. I could go from vintage to modern easily but what I did not like is that even with the my growliest bass the markbass didn’t growl.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    A preamp type pedal into the effects loop when you want a different sound?

bassman74 likes this.
  6. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    I know that is the way to go but I guess i’m Still searching for that do-everything amp.

7. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    As the past owner of 3 Rumbles, I finally gave up trying to get a tone I liked from them. Switched to GK and couldn't be happier. I can always make the GK's emulate the dark, scooped Rumble tone, but could never EQ the Rumbles enough to get that clear, articulate tone of the GK's. Way more versatility and tonal variety.

jchrisk1, Sean775 and FingerDub like this.
  8. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Good luck in your search - I hope you find what you're looking for...

9. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I actually bought the GK yesterday and I love it. I definitely made the right choice.

Buzz E and bassman74 like this.
  10. bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Great! You bought the mb210 or 212?

11. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    MB210-ii

12. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I owned a rumble 500 combo for almost a year. I wanted to like it, but in the end it failed. The only sound it did well was the vintage tone. That's it. Others hear it differently. The GK is a huge difference in comparison. Much better tone as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't even put them in the same category.

13. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah I feel the same way. It's fine for practicing and all, but you don't get a great sound out of it, aside from the vintage setting.
    I always had an interest in GK because of Flea, and I'm glad to own an amp by them now.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Move to 500 not too much upgrade, the Bassman 500 or 800 is really cool upgrade.