1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Combo Amps for small jazz gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Apr 8, 2006.

1. I have a Daryl Jones 5 string, and Im looking for a combo amp that can handel a 5 stringer perfectly, and that will also be suitable for nice jazz gigs, in like clubs or really small venues. I will be starting music college next school year, so I want go with a combo. An external speaker feature would be nice as well, as I might get a 1x15 cab from my uncle in a few months for free. I am on a budget. I really would like not to spend more than $700. Can be new or used! Thanks guys!
    ~Jonathan

2. Eden CXC-110. Deep, great B-string handling, within your budget.
    Edit: It also has extension speaker jacks- I'm running mine into a CX-110 & Avatar CB-112. For DB I run just the combo.

3. There are folks on here with FAR MORE knowledge and experience than I have but I WILL say that I have heard really great things about the Ampeg B-100R. It's a 100W (with a 15"). I don't know if you think 100W would be enough but I've heard that they are very well built and sound absolutely incredible!

Just remember one thing...there is a lot more to percieved volume (the volume you and your audience actually hears/senses) and tone--than wattage. That explains why some smaller amps (like the Ampeg I mentioned) can sound like they blow away similar amps that may have more wattage.

I'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will get in this thread and help you more. Give that Ampeg a listen if you can.

4. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    For $700 you could easily snag a used SWR Workingmans 12 combo AND the ext. 15" cab. I liked my 15" combo but I found it just a tad too bukly and heavy to live with. I kept the ext.15" tho...Nice sound.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My friend has an Eden 12" Combo with like 150watts or something. That thing is almost as loud as my 300W rig. If I were to ever get a small gigging combo, I'd get that.

6. The eden 12 combo, I think it's the 330 head and D112XLT cab combined. Or just get those pieces seperately.

7. MESA WALKABOUT

8. You should check out Eden's "Nemesis" line.

Here is a 2x10 that pumps out 250 watts.

[​IMG]

The price is right around your range.

There is also a 1x15. The 2x12, 4x10, and 8x10 cost more.

[​IMG]

9. Two more words: Under $700.:rollno:

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I concur on the Eden Nemesis NC-210 combo - it would be ideal for you. I own the 4x10 version, the NC-410, and it's great.

The 2x10 has all the same fine features, a smaller footprint, smaller price tag, ample volume & headroom - and those 10" drivers will generate a very smooth, supple, articulate tone - perfect for jazz...

Go for it. You won't regret it...

MM

11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I have a SWR Baby Blue II and love it. Best amp SWR ever made and handles the low B pretty well. You can get one used for $5-600. It is very accurate and has great tone.

Dan K.

12. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm looking into these amps.
    I've been considering the Nemises line of combos for a few days.
    Does anyonw know how the Phil Jones Briefcase Amp is?
    I know it sells for like $599. Anyone know how it sounds?

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

14. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    G-K 400rb 2-10 combo. You can add a fifteen or another two ten if you please. I have been very impressed with the tone and the B string has been no problem. Plenty loud as well. I now use this more then my tube set up. Should be able to find the G-K combo for well under $700. Happy hunting and play as many different brands as you can.:bassist:

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Roland CUBE or D-BASS. Neo speakers, smart coupling between the amp and speakers, great sounding gear in two different power classes.

16. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Fender Bassman 250 / 210

17. +1 on the Nemesis combos. I have a nc-210 that handles a low B well and gets pretty loud; plenty enough for a small jazz gig. It has a tight non-boomy sound. With a 15" extension cab, it's loud enough for rock practices/small rock venues.

18. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I would take a hard look at a used Acoustic Image Coda. It has an external speaker connection, is light and easy to carry around in a shoulder bag, will handle a two-ohm speaker load, puts out plenty of volume for jazz gigs (I've used one for this purpose for years) and not well known is the fact that the down-firing 12" woofer can produce a low B string at full power without farting out. Most bass amps have a fairly significant db roll-off in the frequency range of the B string.

19. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Just how good is the NC410? It looks like it could cover quite a lot of sonic ground.