combo amps turn into cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by life.x, Aug 27, 2004.

1. life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    i've decided, instead of buying a cab, i'd turn my combo amp into a cabinet for my head. Now i figure as much i could snip the wire connecting the amp to the speakers and then reroute them to an input, but that could result in disaster. So if ne body can help me out in this that would be cool
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've never done that but -
    i would probably fabricate a 1/4" female plug from the speaker and a 1/4" male plug coming from the power section of the combo amp to facilitate a quick reconnect when you needed it
  3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Drill a hole in the near the top of the combo amp - on the back surface. Put in a 1/4" jack. Drill another hole near the speaker magnet - also on the back surface. Put in another 1/4" jack. Cut the wires (should be two) leading to the speaker about half way between the amp and the speaker. Solder the wires from the amp to the upper jack. Solder the wires from the speaker to the lower jack. MAKE SURE AND KEEP THE POLARITY THE SAME. Now get (or make) yourself a speaker cable about 6 inches longer than it needs to be with right-angle 1/4" plugs on both ends. If you make it yourself, use twin-lead (not coax) cable that is 16 gauge or bigger (which would be 14 gauge, 12 gauge, etc.) Plug the cable into both jacks and you have your combo amp. Unplug it and you have a separate head (amplifier) and cabinet (speaker). Have a cold one and congratulate yourself on doubling the versatility of your rig. :)
  4. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    scottbass' post sounds great, but i wanna know if i could do that too with a 10 inch, 30w Laney bass combo amp. would i overload the speaker using it with a 300w head, or would it work well? would i have the same power/volume/headroom with the 10 inch, or it'd better to use it with another 2x10, etc.?

thank you.
  5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The speaker that came in a 30W combo amp is probably rated for no more than 50 watts, maybe only 30! You're putting that poor little speaker's life in serious danger if you drive it with a 300W head!!!

There are NO shortcuts when it comes to using a 300 watt head: you've gotta have one cabinet that is rated for 300 watts, or two cabinets that are each rated for 200 watts (due to the signal not being "perfectly" divided). Unless you never take it out of your house and never turn it up beyond about "2".