1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Combo amps w/ built in tuners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fttfbass, Apr 18, 2006.

1. I'm looking into getting a combo amp with a built in tuner. I'm trying to keep my rig as simple as possible......just a bass, cord, and an amp. I'd appreciate some help to compile a list of amps that do have built in tuners. So far I know of the Line 6 Lowdown combo's and the Alesis Bassfire.

I will only use the amp for occasional use at church (with PA support), at home, and possibly with a goof around type of band with some friends once or twice a month.

I'd prefer to buy used, so that I can save some cash. I'm highly interested in the Line 6 Lowdown amps, but they're still really new and I haven't seen any used one's pop up yet. And I'm not sure if the Alesis Bassfire will be loud enough for the band with my friends.

What other combo's have built in tuners?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This will seem rather odd, but I suggest attaching a tuner to a regular combo amp with self adhesive velcro, and run a cable with right angle plugs from the effects send to the tuner.

I don't mean to be a smart-aleck here, because I actually bought a cheap tuner for this specific purpose. My only reason for advising against a combo with built-in tuner is that you will end up choosing for that reason and not for an amp with the best tone, or you will pay $$$ for the feature.

3. crate combos.

4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    You can always get a shro airhead with a head of choice and rack tuner.

This may fit your bill though:

Fender 400 Pro w/ a built in Korg DTR tuner.

[​IMG]

I always thought it was odd that Fender offers a rack tuner of thier own, but they put a Korg tuner with thier amo :confused:

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Ampeg BA115HP or BA210 both have built in chromatic tuners. I use one at church too and it's a great sounding amp. I will let you know though that it has spent more time in the shop since last December than it has been on stage.

The Crate amps also have the same tuner as the Ampeg but don't sound nearly as good.

6. whodom

whodom

Mar 3, 2006
    Salters, SC
    The new Line 6 Lowdowns have built in tuners.

7. Don't take this the wrong way, but IMO that's a bad reason to buy a combo. It's like buying a particular car solely because you want faux woodgrain on the cover of the glove compartment. It would be crazy to make a built-in tuner such an important consideration that it leads you to buy an inferior-sounding and -working bass cab. I say, find the best combo you can find irrespective of built-in tuner, then find some way of dealing with your tuner issue, maybe even by following fdeck's suggestion.