combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dags, May 10, 2004.

1. Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    I'm looking for a new (warranty is important) combo amp. I can get very very good deals on any amps that Guitar Center has in stock (no special ordering, must be in stock). I was pretty set on a Roland DB-500 but there aren't any nearby Guitar Centers that have them in stock. So, I'm looking at the Ampeg B-100R and the SWR Workingman's 15.

The Roland was packed with features and at $400 for a factory resealed one it sounded like a good deal. However since I can get really awesome deals at Guitar Center I'm thinking I can get something better for a similar price. Please suggest combo amps that retail in the range of up to $700 or just give input on the amps I listed. I really want a Roland DB-500 as it looks so good on paper but I've read as many bad reviews as I have good. I like the on-board compression and chorus and the fact that it gets LOUD. I can't try one out so I'm being really cautious about outright purchasing one, especially when I have the Guitar Center discount opportunity.
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive tried the Roland amp you are mentioning, and all those features (compression, chorus etc) are just gimmicks. They are really bad on the thing. The chorus sounds like someone flicking water, its terrible.

The SWR seems like a good choice, but, what we say is only our opinions, you have to play these amps yourself to see what you like. We are not the same bass players, so our tastes vary alot.

Hope that helps bud :)
  3. Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    Yeah I'm gonna stop by a GC soon to try out some Ampegs, SWRs, and GKs. I just want to see what others seem to prefer so I can check out specific models rather than going through every amp they have in stock. Thanks for the input.
  4. I have a db-500. i love it. I paid $319 refurb shipped from sam ash. but I'll be honest; if I could have gotten a brand new workingmans15 for $319 i probably would have gotten that instead.
  5. Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    I've been researching the B-100R and the Workingman's 15 and it appears the Ampeg has a warmer tone suited more towards the rock/p-bass sound whereas the workingman's is a much cleaner sound. i play a variety of styles but having a really punchy sound is important at times so how versatile is the workingman's? i'll be trying these out soon anyway but i'm just bored and curious at the moment.
  6. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    I personally am not a huge fan of SWR amps. They are awesome for certain styles but not for my type. Im personally an Ampeg type of person. It all depends on what type of music you play.
  7. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I have an Ampeg BA115, a friend of mine has the Workingman's 15. I personally like the Ampeg more, it seems more versatile to me and also seems to be better built and easier to get around. The tweeter hisses if you put up the treble but it's not enough to really effect anything. My only gripe about the BA115 is the handle isn't very strong, so I tote it around on a handcart. I've never played the B-100R just because I've never really been interested to. I got my BA115 from guitar center for about $350 new, I took it out of the box myself. I'm thinking about taking the trip to hallendale tomorow after work, I can play on the B-100R and tell you my opinion on it if you want.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    With the 30 day return policy at GC, try them all. Return the ones you don't want.

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I like the Ampeg 100w 15 (whatever that model is). They sell a lot of them, and they are pretty cheap.
    You might also want to try the GK 400 RB head with their SBX cabs. Take it from me. I have the GK1001RB 2x10 head. It sounds great, but if you are someone who likes to aquire gear, you are going to want to be able to take that perfectly good head out of the combo and rack in in a SKB roto-x rack. Its so tidy and small, and you will probably want to experiement with the new NEO cabs that are coming out. It just increased your chances of finding the perfect setup. But for the money, the Ampeg is probably the best tone for the $. I almost got one. He offered it to be for like $250 out the door, or something insane like that.
  10. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I just traded in my BA115hp Ampeg combo for a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout. It is the most awesome combo I have ever heard. I know they are expensive but if you can scrape up the extra cash you probably won't ever need another amp (unless you play stadiums) as this thing rocks.
  11. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've owned an Ampeg B-100R for some years now and I'm very pleased with it. I love its Retro look and with a single 15", it delivers lots of grea deep bass tones. It is well built, fairly light, and has good resale value. I would highly recommend one. :D