1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Filkarri, May 31, 2012.

1. Filkarri

Filkarri

May 31, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm a new user, and I'm looking for advice on a good combo amp to use for smaller gigs. In my primary band I play a rickenbacker 4003 through an Ampeg SVT Classic and an 8x10 cabinet, but I recently joined a little cover band that plays small bars and restaurant patios and whatnot to make a little money on the side. Obviously the full stack is too much amp for a setting like that, and I'd much prefer to have a smaller combo amp for those situations. Thoughts?

2. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
  3. Filkarri

Filkarri

May 31, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'd like to keep it around $500 or so, but I'm definitely of the philosophy that its worth it to spend a little more money now for something quality than to spend less and wish I had something better down the line. If it helps we cover stuff like The Beatles, The Doors, Otis Redding, Sly and the Family Stone. 60s and 70s rock, r&b, and funk.

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
  5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Ampeg makes nice enough combos. Since you use Ampeg already, seems like a logical choice.

6. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Find an Ampeg B100R.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    B100R, Micro VR/210AV, maybe a PF head/cab. And even the Micro CL and BA115 are pretty cool for the money and get a little louder than you'd expect.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Sheet, I'd haul that CL and 8x10 out.

:bag:

Seriously though.:D

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you can find one that is an excellent combo. IMO the closest you can get to a B15 with a solid state amp. The Ampeg Micro VR Stack is a pretty cool little rig. I really dig the new Gallien Krueger MB combos as well. They are light weight(really light) and sound great especially for the money!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya man, that's commitment to your craft right there.

:D

11. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I absolutely love my EBS Drome combo (1x12, 130W), which I've used to gig even midsized clubs. Tiny, light, great back-panel options, awesome sound. They were never easy to find in the US, but if you stumble across one used, grab it. Otherwise, I'd second the GK MB suggestions.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

:bassist:

13. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    Filkarri

Currently I have a Rickenbacker 4003 and an Ampeg B100R. was looking to upgrade to a little more power than 100 watts. its tough because the B100R is such a great sounding little amp. loud as a F***er too. I played it next to a hard hitting drummer and a marshal half stack and it was right there....

I play classic rock too. Sabbath, Doors, AC/DC Cream etc

I have tried a Mark bass Jeff Berlin, an Ampeg PF500/PF115HE, and an Ashdown MAGC210T-300.

the Mark Bass did not work for that type of music and the Ric. didnt make a nice match.

love the PF 500 but the head had some issues and I sent it back.

the Ashdown sounded great too but again, electrical issues had me send it back.

I am reconsidering trying another PF 500 but this time with the 2-10's. I really liked the tone of the 10's I got with the Ric and its just a natural match for a Ric...imo

I was looking at one of those GK MB210 amps but it was too "digital" sounding for me.

I am taking a few weeks off from the amp search to clear my head and start over. we live in a time when there is SO much out there and like you said, paying a few extra dollars now rather than being sorry later is the right thought. you really have to read the spec's too. I bought the Ashdown because it was rated at 307 watts. no where on the site does it say you need another cab out to get the full 300 watts. with the size of the damn thing why would you want 2 cabs for another measly 100 watts.....I found out after I got it that it was "about" 200 watts....

same thing with the Class D amps. most of them are rated high at 4 ohms. typically a 500 watt class D with a 8 ohm cab is 300 watts. thats not bad

14. Bassman64, Get another B100R and play through both.

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Markbass stuff works just fine for classic rock. Mine does. Try a CMD 121H combo, for instance. Not as cheap as some, but it's worth it.

16. I use GC Acoustic B200 combo; most bang for your buck; no distortion when you ever use a bass with a low B string. Still under $400 as far as I know. For a little more $$ the B450 has same head as Acoustic 600; in a combo with 2x10's and still under $500.

Plenty loud for gigging rock; DI-out for PA reinforcement. Plenty of tonal variation with 6 channels of semi-parametric and mid-sweep. Horn and defeat switch if needed.

Softer gigs? Keep gain low.

One-hander for younger folks; 2-hander for me @ 59.

17. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    maybe.

actually I was in GC today and tried a PF500 through a 2X10 and it just has that sound. the floor model sounded good.

going to go back with my Ric and try it again. by that time they have a Fathers day 15 % off ;)

18. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    I was in GC today and they had a Jeff Berlin, the 102P 2X10, a 1X12, a1X8 and a couple of heads.

I played all of them. I even plugged one head into the PF cab

while the head through the Ampeg cab was ok the combos just sound so blah to me. trust me I am not trying to talk **** about them. I want one because it is such a well built loud ass little amp but and I quote from Jeff Berlin himself

"Hi Chris. It is possible that my amp is not for you. If it is not, then I suggest that you replace it with something that works for you. I really feel that you should get an amp that serves your needs. As much as I avoid tweeter, you might need an amp that has one. I truly hope that you can find something that pleases you because it is necessary that you play through an amp that makes you happy.

Best from Jeff"

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The little Ampeg B115's or whatever they are, not the blue check ones but the plain black ones, are some pretty beefy, Ampeggy sounding combo's. Not light, bit pretry good sound and can carry a gig at the local bar where 40 people makes it look busy.

I did a shared gig with a guy who had a Markbass 112 combo and was pretty impressed by that too. It was a PA gig but the little thing had a good warm tone and covered the stage alright...because my guitar player is a musician and doesn't blast, otherwise it would've been a drummer monitor.

20. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Used peavey bam, Eden metro or swr redhead