1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo brand advice needed! *ponders*

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LDonnie, Sep 14, 2008.

1. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I am currently looking for a nice combo amp for home/gigging. I am looking for a crispy, clean sound with good highs and a bit of bottom. Kind of like a combination between SWR and EBS.
    My interests now mainly lie with Gallien-Krueger and SWR, though I still have to try out a Gallien-Krueger. Other amps I still have to try out are Ampeg and Eden, which are also appealing.
    Amps I don't want: Hartke, EBS, Ashdown, Markbass.
    Maybe I should mention that I play Music Man basses?:confused:
    Thanks for the suggestions!:bassist:

Edit: Sorry, let me clear up:

Wattage should be 200 wattish, but I'm okay with a higher or lower wattage. I prefer a 2x10 setup. I'm fine with some standard features, but would like a tuner for some kind of ''brightness'' like EBS has.
    I'm not planning to spend more than €700,-.

2. How much wattage? Features? Might help to narrow down the suggestions. GK make pretty good combos ranging from the 400RB 210 (I think they still make those) to a 1001 212 (Neo I think). So just with GK you have lots of choices. I used to have a GK700RB 210 combo. Rock solid combo. I have used several different GK amps and currently use the 2001 as my gigging head. The thing with GK is that they are known for the "GK growl". The complaint from some people is that they can't get GK to be clean enough for their tastes. It works for me because I want grind/growl.

Also Genz Benz have their new series (I forget the exact name for it but it might be the Shuttle series heads that are part of that set up) where it is small, portable combo-like but the head detaches from the cabinet. Genz make great gear. I have a GBE 750 with a XB 210 cab for at home use.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    And, if you're fond of SWR, the Super Redhead is a good choice. Maybe especially the older ones.

4. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Sorry, let me clear up:

Wattage should be 200 wattish, but I'm okay with a higher or lower wattage. I prefer a 2x10 setup. I'm fine with some standard features, but would like a tuner for some kind of ''brightness'' like EBS has.
    I'm not planning to spend more than €700,-.

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    GK should do it just fine.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo