1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Combo + Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hayznut, Aug 21, 2005.

  1. Hayznut


    Aug 14, 2002
    Hey, I currently have a Carlsbro 150 Combo amp and i'm looking to upgrade to a head + cab in the close future, however i don't think ill be able to afford the head + cab at once. I was wondering if it would be possible at all to buy either the head or cab and use the Carlsbro in the setup as well? Thanks in advance
  2. If your combo has a external speaker jack on the back then, as long as your ohms check out, then youre good to go.

    Not familiar with your specific combo amp, but you might be able to easily remove the head portion of the combo from the box and then use it as a head.

  3. Hayznut


    Aug 14, 2002
    Hmm i don't think it does have a speaker output jack. It does have input/output jacks though...
  4. As in an effects loop?
  5. Hayznut


    Aug 14, 2002
    Yes :<
  6. bassontherun


    Jul 9, 2005
    If you feel like getting tricky, and don't mind making modifications to the combo, you can drill a hole in the cab, add a 1/4" input jack, and wire it to the speaker. You can then run a 1/4" speaker cable from a head to this jack and use the combo as a speaker only (leave the combo's amp off). The down side is that this speaker is probably rated to be equal to the 150watt amp in the combo. If you use an external head with a higher wattage, you stand a chance of damaging the speaker. I'm guessing that higher wattage is what you're looking for here, so this may not be a good solution for you.

    Theoretically, you could also use this new speaker jack to add another speaker to your combo (parallel), BUT you may then run at an ohm load lower than the combo amp will allow (thus potentially damaging the amp). Check the owners manual for the minimum ohm rating for the amp and then check the ohm rating of the speaker. If they are equal (say, 4 ohm), then you would be better off not running both the internal speaker and an extension.

    DMB is also leading you down a potential path to happiness! Using the output jack (effects loop or line out) you can play through the combo and send a line signal to another combo (or head and cab) and utilize two amps. In this case you can buy a second combo and have the combined volume of the two (depending on your situation, this may be a reasonably inexpensive alternative to a whole new rig).

    Of course, a third alternative would be to sell the combo and put the money toward the head/cab you want!