1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Combo converted to head?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by m1k3_88, Apr 6, 2006.

1. m1k3_88

m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    A friend of mine is looking to pickup a seperate cabinet, and turn his peavey bandit 112 combo amp into a head. I believe the head is 80watts at 8ohms and 100watts at 4ohms. I plan to help him out with this as i seem to know my way around amp repair more than he does, but i'd still like to check if any of you have tips, or suggestions for rewiring he speaker wires into a quarter inch jack? and then just cut the speaker half of the combo off, capping off the bottom of the "head". The singer of my band did this with his old marshall 250dfx combo, and now has it running through a 412 cab that turned out quite well, so a guitarist friend of mine decided he'd give it a go after seeing my singer's rig.

Cheers,
    Mike.

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    this isn't going to help you, but both my brother and singer have that amp. I'm a fan. That's all.

3. I did the same thing 20 years ago with the electronics from my TNT 130 - I just pulled 'em from the combo, got my hands on another peavey power amp and a peavey 6x10 cab (I think) and I really enjoyed the idea that I had done something different. Whether or not it was the right thing to do or if I did it right... well... it worked. I had plenty of sound - power - made lots of unfortunate metal noize... Just be careful. Make sure you are not doing something electronically incorrect.

4. m1k3_88

m1k3_88

Jan 23, 2005
    anyone else have input?

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    You may get more responses in the amps forum.