1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo "ext out" for speaker in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geoffzilla, Sep 22, 2008.

1. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I've been rehearsing at a space that has a Peavey 115 combo. The head is blown, but the speaker looks fine. I'd like to start just bringing my head and using the cab portion, but the only speaker connection says "ext speaker".
    My question: do I run any risk of hurting my amp by trying to plug into that jack? I'm hoping it's just wired parallel to the internal driver.

2. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yes, it's wired in parallel to the internal driver, BUT it is also wired to the output of the internal power amp. Don't just connect this to another amp. You will risk damaging it. The internal circuitry of the internal power amp can load down your external amp, possibly even present a short circuit (depending how the amp is damaged) to your external amp. If the internal amp is indeed fried, you need to get in there and disconnect the ext speaker jack from the amp first, or even just remove the amp from the cabinet all together and just install a jack in the cabinet.

3. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Combo isn't mine, so don't want to mess with it too much. I'll take a look at how easy/reversible it would be to mess with and go from there. I'm probably stuck bringing my own cab.

4. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Forgot to mention, I have a TNT160 lying around (similar to the Combo 115) that I've had open to fix a loose cable. Mine has a Molex connector for the speaker to the power amp PC-board. Might be the same in the Combo 115 in which case you can just pull the connector and the amp will be isolated from the speaker jacks. Completely reversible.

5. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    That's great news. I'll be sure to let you know if it works out. Thanks again. I LOVE TALKBASS!