Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo for ~$250

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 10, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Birthday is on the 24th, email me for my address to send gifts ;)

Looking to get a nice little combo amp for my dorm room/small practices/acoustic gigs. Looking to spend around $250, maybe a tad bit more. Absolute limit is $350 but am looking to get a CD-BT1 too. Vintage vibe is good too. New or used doesn't really matter, but I have about ten days to get my hands on the thing.

Obvious options:
    GK Backline 112
    Vox T60

What else? Nothing like a Fender Rumble, they're quite horrid, not a big fan of Ampegs either. Any recommendations? Looking for a vintage vibe, I'm playing a fretless MIM Jazz and a '78 P-Bass.

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Ashdown/Peavey/SWR ?? All have combo's in the $250 - $350 range.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Used Ampeg112, there's one in the for sale forum for $225 + shipping.

GK Backlines are nice for the price, and capture some of the "GK sound," they aren't nearly as articulate as the artist series models. Still great for the price I think, get probably about 60% of the GK sound out of them for less than half the price. If you've tried this out and liked it, get it. If not, try to play it first because GK has a different sound than some are used to.

The Ampeg will hit the typical bass sounds quite well, and is very versatile. Use it for jazz to rock and it'll serve you well. Some people say they like the BA112 more than the BA115 around here, they claim it has more punch. If you don't like the GK or like this more, I'd say it's your best bet.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    illidian, considering I've been playing GK's for years, I'm pretty sure of what I'm getting into, and I've owned an Ampeg BA115, never too thrilled, but the 112 may be feasible because of what you say, worst case scenario is selling it on craigslist for a slight loss.

Looking into the Ashdowns and SWRs.

5. ianick

ianick

Nov 22, 2004
    That little Vox T60 is one sweet combo. I wish they made bigger amps and cabs.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It is sweet, got a nice sound. $300 isn't a bad price for it either. Definately one of my top choices.

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    IMO if you weren't thrilled with the BA115 you won't be much happier with the BA112. If the only reason the '15 wasn't for you was the punch, then look into it, but if not it's the only thing you're gaining with the smaller amp.

Good luck with your choice. :bassist:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wouldn't say it wasn't ENTIRELY for me, it was big, bulky. I liked the tone, but it didn't scream vintage Ampeg. The 112 is a feasible choice, now just gotta play one.

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe you could get a used Ampeg B-50R, the 100R's little brother. Maybe even a new B-50R would be in your price range (the B-100R goes for $450 new)? You could also try to get ahold of a used B-100R for that cost (<$350).

10. I would go with Ashdown if you don't like Ampeg. Not sure what it means to want the vintage sound but not Ampeg!

I just bought a Genz-Benz Intro 50 for $200 used. They're pretty cool, although kind of hi-fi for you probably. If I couldn't have tracked one down, I probably would have got an Ashdown or an Ampeg. Get a 1x12 of whatever, almost certainly.