Combo for A-D-G-C tuning

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chimaira, Aug 1, 2005.

1. chimaira

Feb 18, 2005
    i play a A-D-G-C tuning and searching for a combo
    that does the low frequencies. can somebody help me? is it better to have a 15" speaker when tune to low A?
  2. I don't think so. I haven't tried to play notes that low through a high-volume amp, but my practice amp, which has a 10" speaker, produces a perfectly satisfactory low F#. Speaker size isn't the only thing that affects bass response. Cabinet construction and speaker type also have a big effect. I'd go with a 12" speaker, both for weight reasons and because it will probably manage higher frequencies better than a 15". Try before you buy, of course, and get a 15" if you can't find a smaller speaker that satisfies you, but don't shun the non-15"s.
  3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Heh. Somehow I don't think an 8X10 combo is what the original poster had in mind.

Just last night I played my low A tuned 5 string through my practice combo, a Genz Benz Series 1, an older out of production (therefore cheap, though even the new models are reasonable) ported 2 X 10 combo. I had to pause in amazement, not only of my own lack of skill, but more importantly at the sound and FEELING of the low A through this lil amp. It was just me and one guitarist, I won't say this little amp would work in a big gig, but if you have PA support it has a DI out.