1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Combo for A-D-G-C tuning

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chimaira, Aug 1, 2005.

1. chimaira

chimaira

Feb 18, 2005
    i play a A-D-G-C tuning and searching for a combo
    that does the low frequencies. can somebody help me? is it better to have a 15" speaker when tune to low A?

2. I don't think so. I haven't tried to play notes that low through a high-volume amp, but my practice amp, which has a 10" speaker, produces a perfectly satisfactory low F#. Speaker size isn't the only thing that affects bass response. Cabinet construction and speaker type also have a big effect. I'd go with a 12" speaker, both for weight reasons and because it will probably manage higher frequencies better than a 15". Try before you buy, of course, and get a 15" if you can't find a smaller speaker that satisfies you, but don't shun the non-15"s.

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Heh. Somehow I don't think an 8X10 combo is what the original poster had in mind.

Just last night I played my low A tuned 5 string through my practice combo, a Genz Benz Series 1, an older out of production (therefore cheap, though even the new models are reasonable) ported 2 X 10 combo. I had to pause in amazement, not only of my own lack of skill, but more importantly at the sound and FEELING of the low A through this lil amp. It was just me and one guitarist, I won't say this little amp would work in a big gig, but if you have PA support it has a DI out.