1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo for gigging

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    I’m looking for a combo I can gig with and use at jam sessions. I already have a Peg V4-B half stack as my main gig rig but I just sold my backup- a 2000ish TNT115, heavy as son b. Four options I’ve got my sights set on are the
    Ampeg BA-210v2, Fender Rumble 500 combo, Fender Rumble 200 combo and the Tech 21 VT Bass 200.

Between these combos, what’s the way to go? I have played a Rumble 200 combo at a garage party/concert and thought it sounded great. But have never played the other 3 and don’t know how it would do at a bar.

Also, what’s the true wattage on these amps without using an extension cabinet? I’d like to avoid needing one of those at all costs since the idea here is one unit, grab and go.

2. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

May 6, 2009
    I've been using Ampeg BA-210v2 for a couple years now. Does everything I need it to do.

Bemo likes this.
  3. bhendrix

bhendrix Supporting Member

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Actual wattage at 8 ohm for Rumble 500 is 350 - for the Ampeg BA 210 its 283. I'd recommend the Rumble 500 if you liked the sound of the 200 you played and need to get louder.

I recently demoed a Blackstar U500 combo - 2X10 pushing 500 watts right out of the combo. They offer a powered extension that ADDS another 250. Awesome sounding combo though.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Genzler MG350 Combo. I just played a musical in a 600 seat theatre with horns, drums, 2 guitars and 2 keyboards with this:
    Magellan 350 Combo - Genzler Amplification
    genzler rig.JPG
    I also use it for outdoor jazz gigs (pictured) with a quartet. Now, keep in mind it is what it is, but what it is is a killer combo that weighs next to nothing, handle my Roscoe B string and gets loud with great tone and dispersion. An added 110 cab would be even more full.

5. rumblejunkie

rumblejunkie

Nov 19, 2011
    Falkirk
    I've got the TC electronic BG250115 and it's more than loud enough for small to medium gigs . And has DI out to go through a PA for larger gigs . Great sound and nice and light at 40 odd pounds weight .

Aqualung60 likes this.
  6. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    If it sounded great to you then that is what you need to go with. Or you might consider the Rumble 500 head and a Rumble 15 cab which will you long term flexibility. Going by other people opinions doesn't always work in the bass world as they may like something completely different than you.

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Yeah the two combos I have are polar opposites: Ampeg BA115, 100 watts and heavy at 65 lbs?; and a Rumble 40 that is so light with reasonably good sound in for what it is, I use more often plugging it into the PA than not.

I find that I don’t save much with a combo, except the Rumble 40 perhaps. I’ve an assortment of cabs, all 8 ohm, and a couple of three Class D heads to drive them. My usual load out includes a backpack bag for extension cords, music/guitar stands and a class D amp. So the combo takes the same effort as a cab would so no savings in time, space or money there on my one trip load in.

Jim Carr likes this.
  8. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    Can’t speak for the VT, but I’ve played both the Rumble and Ampeg combos, as well as the GK MB 210 which is also worth a look. All should be suitable for gigs, but be aware that the Rumble and Ampeg’s XLR out is post-EQ only. The GK has a pre/post switch. Really, it’s a tone decision. The Fender sounds like a Fender, the Ampeg sounds like an Ampeg (well, mostly), and the GK sounds like a GK.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  9. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I recently got to A/B a Rumble 500 and a Hartke HD500 in a large auditorium. The Hartke is only 250 WRMS but it sounded twice as big as the Fender. They both weighed about the same but the Hartke format felt more "luggable"...

10. GK MB212 - not on your list but give it a listen

11. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Fender Rumble 800, effects and all :)

G-Dog and Aqualung60 like this.
  12. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Same here. I vote for the Ampeg.
    But to be fair, I also have a GK 400RB and a Hartke HD150. I like em all. The Ampeg is at most shows, but the GK gets used every Wednesday at an open mic I work. So as has been suggested, it's really about the tone YOU like.

13. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    I love that Ampeg tone. My V4-B is pretty much a 100 watt version of the SVT. The rumbles feel good and sound good. I just wasn’t sure on the quality and durability of those Ampeg BA-210s.

14. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    What would be main difference between the Ampeg BA-210v2 and the Ampeg Micro SVT-VR stack? Has anyone used the Micro on here? I did get to try one of those out once. Sounded good but don’t know how they do in band situations.

15. FWIW, I'm a fan of keeping rigs in the same family, so the Ampeg would be my choice. Easier to switch between setups, tonally. Plus, I've played through one of the Ampeg 210's at a rehearsal studio many times and it sounds great. My main rig is a V4B with a couple of 112AV cabs, but I also use the MicroVR with 2 of the 210AV cabs as a gigging rig as well where I don't have to play loud without FOH support. It's not gonna keep up with a half stack in a loud, angry band, but it sounds killer where it does fit.

16. Well it depends on how big the gig really is, if you have PA support or not and also the musicians you're gigging with. What I mean is a combo without PA support used in a coffee shop setting with a modest drummer, one guitarist and singer is a lot different from a 1000+capacity venue with a crash happy hitting drummer, two overly-loud gain turned up all the way guitarist and yelling singer. Only you can really and should make this choice, I say if you have experience with the Rumble combo and liked it then go that route if you feel you will not be disappointed or taking a risk.

17. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Out of your 4 choices, this by far...Ampeg BA-210v2...if you are open to others...then this above any other...GK MB212.
    Rock on.

18. skyline_01

skyline_01 Jeremy Nichols, Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    I'd go Rumble all day. The 500 on its own has serious balls, and adding an extension would bring some serious thunder for larger gigs. The drive and voicing buttons IMO are really useful and they seem to be universally praised for sound and build quality, plus they're pretty light.

bhendrix, btmpancake, G-Dog and 2 others like this.
  19. I used a 200 watt GK MB15 for small to medium venues and even out doors. It worked just fine for me. Never turned the volume above 1/2. The nice thing with GK is that you can add a powered extension speaker to really shake the room. Definitely worth a look. :thumbsup:

20. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Have a purpose and live it out.

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    I have the rumble 200 and I love the rumble amp. I would go with a different speaker configuration than just the 15" that the 200 comes with. It's plenty loud. Seems folks get better dynamics out of just one 15" speaker. Overall it's a great combo!
    Edit: if you're plugging into FOH the Rumble 200 is plenty.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020