1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo for thick p-bass old school soul and funk?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sir Toby, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Sir Toby

Sir Toby

May 3, 2020
    Hi.

So I have a p-bass with flats. What combo should I get to find that classic sound from songs like Sly: Family affair, Temptations: Papa was a rolling stone, Parliament: Dr Funkenstein, Charles Wright: Express yourself, Narada Michael Walden: I shoulda loved ya, Rick James: Give it to me baby and so on?
    That bassy sustain with a tad overdrive purring like a cougar ready to attack. I realize that my Rumble LT25 can't do it, I have tried.
    Spent hours trying to read everything about this and here is what I have so far:
    - 4-band EQ to boost some bass and low mids
    - P with flats ( a Rick seems to work as well)
    - 1x12 or 1x15 speakers (it will be for home use 95% and maybe after covid 5% jamming at home with friends at reasonable volume.
    - onboard overdrive or a pedal for light OD and breakup (hear good things about Fairfield Barbershop).

If these assumptions are true my choices are:
    - Rumble 100/200
    - Ashdown Studio 12/15
    - Blackstar Unity 120/250
    - Ampeg RB-112
    - Tech 21 VT 200

One of these should be able to give me that grrrr right?

I have the Ibanez Talman TMB500 with Nordstrand designed pickups, a PJ with option to go passive for a p pickup soloed. I have pretty new TI flats on it and already that made a difference. A little worried that the pickups are a bit too bright and hi-fi but love thee look and feel of it and the slap sounds are great as well as tones for contemporary music.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Corrections?

Next weekend if covid allows I might be able to try out the Rumbles and the Blackstar. The other ones would have to be a blind buy online...

Have a great weekend!

/ Toby

CallMeAl likes this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I would say from experience Rumble 200* but I soooo want to try the new RB amps. I just imagine they would fit the bill to a T.

*you might get away with a 100, if you’re not playing with loud friends. I use mine for rehearsals, but we keep it pretty tame. (Like no earplugs volume)

MattZilla, Rezdog, JettBlaq and 3 others like this.
  3. Sir Toby

Sir Toby

May 3, 2020
    Thank you!
    Good to hear. Yes the RB series look really nice but the price is quite high compared to the Rumble. Ashdown is considerably cheaper than Rumble. Blackstar and Tech 21 about the same as Rumble.
    The 100 would probably be enough volume wise.

CallMeAl likes this.
  4. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Tech 21 combo over the Rumble all day long. And Ampeg is an obvious choice.

5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I bet the 100 would do it. Your ratio of “95 home/ 5 jam” and now you mention budget, points me towards 100. I just said 200 in the name of “be prepared.”

The 100 can get quite loud. We usually use a cajon in our blues band, but it’s held up to 40w Marshall tubes and the rest of the PA on gigs. I did a backyard jam with a drumset, 2 guitars and a bunch of singers and a sax... held up very well. Hopefully you can try one yourself and help you decide!

Oh, and the Rumbles are bass heavy. I never turn my bass EQ past 12. My baseline EQ is 10/2/2/10, tweak from there.

JettBlaq and Sir Toby like this.
  6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    This is correct. The BA amps are a killer budget option.

PockySteve, SJan3 and Sir Toby like this.
  7. Sir Toby

Sir Toby

May 3, 2020
    Yes I looked at the BA-115 but that only has a 3-band EQ. The other ones do look nicer and weigh less but I'm not ruling that out. Hope to get to try one out.

CallMeAl likes this.
  8. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Who cares how many EQ bands it has if it gets you where you wanna go?
    I say, less is better.

9. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    Mesa Walkabout would be my choice

10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    In past , I able get a nice thick and meaty low mid pbass vibe (squier cv60p , PV63pup, Labella DTF760fl) through Rumble 200/115 along with only Vintage button engage along with tiny overdrive mix . No contour, no bright button and no horn engage.

But, I move to tech21 VT200 just because nicer tone to my ear.
    The bite button, dual voicing character knob , 500khz/1khz mid shift , 3khz treble and useful horn tweeter able let me create nice bass tone pretty flexible.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  11. ZonieBass

ZonieBass Send Lawyers, Guns and Money... Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Check out the Ampeg BA210 V2. I think it checks all of your boxes and more.

PockySteve and Sir Toby like this.
  12. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    How is that Tech 21 combo? I love the SansAmps and other pedals. I would imagine that combo is nice.

Sir Toby likes this.
  13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Ashdown combos have a built-in emphasis in the mid bass, which makes them sound "thick."

Sir Toby likes this.
  14. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Another vote for the Tech 21. Sounds great, lots of tonal options, and it's also very light.

SJan3 and Sir Toby like this.
  15. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I'd go with an ampeg 15.

But, a Fender 15 would be just fine as well.

16. Sir Toby

Sir Toby

May 3, 2020
    That sounds amazing!! I took your advice before, Yahboy and that worked out great!

Yahboy likes this.
  17. Sir Toby

Sir Toby

May 3, 2020
    Will definitely check the Ampeg BA out! Good to hear positive experiences with Rumble and Tech 21.

18. Sir Toby

Sir Toby

May 3, 2020
    The Ashdown looks real good! Not a lot of written reviews or videos. They seems to have had some QC issues with previous models but not this one. The few reviews out there are very positive. But then again so are the 10.000 ones regarding the Rumbles. In tge end of course the inidividual experiance of sound and ease of use matters way more to me than looks, weight and even price.
    So it's either play the ones available and choose or order the others online and send back.

JettBlaq likes this.
  19. Sir Toby

Sir Toby

May 3, 2020
    Why the 15's? Just personal preference? Better low end and horn/tweeter option? More power? More features?

20. Sir Toby

Sir Toby

May 3, 2020
    Am I on the right track regarding how to get the tone I am after or am I missing something?
    Ì have heard People getting that sound from P's, Ricks and J's so it can't just be about a Fender P from 63.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021