Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Behringer BX1200

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. GK Backline 112

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Hartke Kickback 12

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Other (please specify)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. I am in search of a small combo amp. I only need an amp as a "monitor" for me. I'm looking into combos with the following specs:1 12" speaker, tilt-back design, 100 watts or more, $500 or less. Please place your opinion on the poll. If your pick is not offered please specify your favorite according to my specs.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You are going to have to try them. I have only played through the kickback and not in anger. Anyway you get a bump. Oh and welcome to the board.

3. I have the Behringer Bx1200 and have no experience with the others listed. I purchased the Behringer for the purpose of a practice amp and a stage monitor and it serves well for those purposes at considerably less price than the other comparable models. At church, I play through an Ampeg 350w head with a 4x10 cab. The BX1200 doesn't come close to beating the Ampeg rig, but wasn't intended to. I will say, however, yesterday our group played to an audience of about 130 in an outdoor patio environment and I used the BX1200 as my only bass amp (I wasn't connected through the mixer or main system). The Bx1200 worked just fine for that occassion. It actually surprised me.

4. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I have the SWR Workingman 12 and like it a lot. It weighs around 40 lbs and has the classic SWR sound. The redesigned 2002 model weighs a little more and I think costs more than your budget. However, check with dealers to see if you can get a break on the older model.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    A friend of mine recently bought the Behringer after trying out a bunch of small amps. I know the Hartke was one of them. He found the Behringer handled low end best (I tried it with my Fender 5 Precision and it wasn't really good, but OK on moderate volume) and was cheap as well. For the price I think it's hard to beat. If you need more volume you have to go to a higher price range.

6. I agree regarding the volume level on the Behringer BX1200. I play an Ibanez BTB405 through mine and the amp works well up to about 2/3 volume. Above that level, the lows start clipping. I believe it's still a good value though. And it's loaded with features. The unit is heavy for its size - feels rock solid. If the electronics prove to be reliable, I expect to have this amp for a long time.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Can't say I've ever had the pleasure of any of them. Whne I went for a smallish combo I got an Ashdown Electric Blue 130 with a 15" speaker. They also do a 12" speaker version, 130 watts, very loud for it's size, very portable and within your price range if memory serves. Only thing is it's not a a tilt-back design.

They have just brought out a newer version that has 150 watts!