Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo killing my back.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Aug 12, 2003.

1. My Ampeg B3158 is absolutely destroying my back. I am going to upgrade to an Ampeg SVP and a QSC PLX1202. Since the rack will only be about 40 pounds I need to purchase some light weight, non-exspensive cabs. My cab choice will be a 4x10, and either another 4x10, or a 2x10 as a monitor. Are there any companies that make light weight cabs at the price of Avatar cabs, new?

2. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I think 4x10 + lightweight + not expensive doesn't really exist. My bad back has forced me to downsize from an SWR 4x10 to a pair of Aguilar 112s to what I now have...a pair of the Epifani 110 ultralights.

The new cabinets are phenominal and truly saving my back, but they certainly come at a price...and they're not exactly a 410. I don't know if Flite makes any 410s but they might be a choice. Ampeg also has their PortaBass stuff, but the largest they come in is a 212. Otherwise, I think you're going to have to make a concession on at least on of your requirments above.

Good luck.

3. how about (2) Avatar 2x10's? That would be light and still give you 410's. Another company that I see on tb is Low Down Sound. I'm not sure of their prices, maybe someone could post some info on that.

4. The portabass would be good, but I don't think it could handle 850-1600 watts.

5. Check out the Epifani Ultralite 4x10's. They're not cheap (around $1500 list), but they're light and sound great. One of these babies is 59 pounds - not bad compared to the usual 100 pounds for a standard 4x10. You can carry one with one hand.

I was lucky enough to find a good deal on one used - it should be coming in sometime this week. Look around the net a bit and you might be able to find a similar deal. Good luck.

6. With the portabass, but I could run the power amp both sides at 4 ohms, at...30 or 400, I think. Plus the weight is very good, I could get 2 2x12's, but it'll be exspensive new.

7. I have come to the conclusion, that I will get 2 avatar 4x10s, put casters on the bottom, and wheel them about, and when it comes to lifting, I will just have to toughen up. Think it is bad for me now, because my B3158 is tall and skinny, and a 4x10 might be a little easier to carry.

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Dude, no.

Always put your health first. You may be carring the cab into a huge gig with heaps of people waiting for you to start your set, and

*pop*

there goes your back. its happened to plenty of my freinds.

I agree with nickelseye. It may be a bit far out, but i think (2) 2x10's is a good idea. Although it may cost a bit more, but you can spend on the cabs what you DONT spend on visits to the chiropractor. :D

9. Can i suggest you put castors on the bottom of the amp and roll it around...then only lift it when you really have to

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how bout an Acme 4x10? weighs only 78 lbs.

but i like the pair of Aguilar GS112's. light, relatively inexpensive, and they show up on ebay or the classifieds all the time.

also, try investing in a cart like the Ruxxac or Wesco. best investment i made for all my gear hauling.

and remember, lift with the knees!! ;)

11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Before you toss out your combo there are a couple of things you can do.

1) as someone else already suggested, add casters. You can get them for cheap off ebay of if you want deeelux accomodations, get the trak-lok ones from Mesa Boogie.

2) using cheap parts available at any hardware store you can build a telelscopic rolling handle attached to the back of the combo. It will let you tip it and roll it as needed.

3) Situps. One of the leading causes of back injuries, in addition to bad technique, is a weak abdominal wall. If you have stronger abs your back doesn't have to do all the work. Basically, if you are out of shape, don't expect to be able to life even 20lbs, without hurting yourself. FWIW, I used to have back problems (lugging an Aggie 410) until a doctor told me I needed to do situps if I was going to keep doing "heavy" lifting. No problems since.

12. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    some good avice on this thread for ya....i would try getting that combo of your fitted into some kind of mobile rolling unit myself.

my old swr redhead was a pain to haul around.

now i have an ampeg 6x10 cab and it's actually much easier. i know this defies logic - but my ampeg has wheels, roll bars, slide rails, and side handles. it is has never put a strain on my back in the least.

-erik

13. Maybe you can, if you take extensive weight lifting training... But, barring that, I too usta think I could carry just about anything until a window A/C unit (that weighs less than most bass cabs) felled me low. Believe me, a hernia operation is no fun at all!

And as far as installing casters goes, sure, they help you push the thing around from floor space to floor space, but they're no good at all for stairs and when it comes to lifting the thing they're on they only add more damn weight to the process! I put casters onto a Hartke 1415 combo once; it just made it worse...

Now I'm going with lighter cabs/combos and also using portable fold-up hand carts, like the Wesco Ultralight and the Ruxxac... Much better!

Greywoulf ;)

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You might want to try either one 4ohm Acme B-2 or two 8 ohm Acme B-2's. They are light, portable, and go very low (got a 5 string?).

Depends on how loud you want to get (the Acme's are pretty inefficient).

Another option could be two Avatar CB112's and one B210.

I think the Acme's would sound better, but wouldn't get as loud as the Avatar's.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Casters are no good on stairs! I encounter stair all the time.

No-one's mentioned Tech Soundsystems yet. They're using lightweight Neodymium magnets on their cabs.

Basically anything with neodymium magnets is worth a look. Maybe even buy some raw speakers from Eminence or P.Audio or whoever else makes neo's, and get TBers to help you build the cabs.

16. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    If your set on 2 Avatar 410s, ask Dave about his 212 when you call in your order. Mine just arrived today and it is fantastick. It weighs about seventy five pounds and fits in the back of my jetta. I bought it with one of his 210s (50 pounds)and the combo is great.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Avatar route, but ask Dave his thoughts on their 410 vs. 212 before you commit.

17. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Dave can put the Eminence neos in his cabs, if you choose. Could save about 20 lbs over the Deltas on a 410. Don't know how they sound, tho'.
    I second(third, whatever) the hand truck idea. I had casters on my old 122 lb cabs. While they were great moving the gear down halls and across stage, they used to roll around unless laid on their sides in my truck, not to mention, uneven outdoor stages (trailers). Went to hand trucks with my 410/115 combination...worked much better, especially over grass, dirt or other uneven surfaces. Home Depot has a 'D' handle Milwaukee truck with 10" pneumatic tires for less than $30. Lowe's has the same unit for about $10 more...if you're cheap, like me, you can get Lowe's to give you 10 percent off Home Depot's price. I also have one of the Best Wheel(?) folding hand trucks that I got at Lowe's on closeout for $22. They since have them back in stock for $39. It is a knockoff of Joker's Wesco hand truck. I have used it extensively over varying terrain with both light and heavy loads and have never experienced the wheels not staying parallel as did a previous poster. Great little truck...keep it in the van, just in case.

Kim

18. I was thinking about a 4x10, and a 2x12. And since my amp will be in peices, it may be easier to move.

19. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Wow, some great advise here for sure. Back in the day, I was lugging around my Peavy 115 cab, that weighed in at close to 110lbs. When I got my SWR Goliath III cab, at 89lbs, I thought I had really improved on the weight distribution. It has casters which helps alot. My guitarist has a bad back, and I have opted and lectured him about not hauling any cabinets by himself. As a result, all heavy cabs are handled by two people at all times. This is helpful! The other thing that contributes to long back gevity is the fact that we use a trailer to store all our equipment between gigs so theirs no hauling equipment up and down house stairs, in and out of hatch backs. We get to the gig, empty the trailer, play, load the trailer and were done until the next gig. That in itself has saved my back from ruptured disks.

Good luck and remember, you could always switch to the harmonica. :)

20. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    see, what i do, is i just grab a friend. i don't need all this extra-light stuff, just grab one of your band mates. its OK to take a few trips. my hartke is kind of heavy, but its the first thing to go into gigs, me and my guitarist grab one side of it (it has nice flip-out handles) and our guitars/basses/heads in the other hand, and its not a big deal. sure its not a 59 lb 4x10, but its manageable. getting a freind to help is alot cheaper that neodynium speakers and stuff. also others thought of hand trucks, or carts. these all work well.