1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo no more

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluespenny, Mar 17, 2009.

1. bluespenny

bluespenny

Mar 17, 2009
    Brand new here, so forgive me if this is a question covered a million times.

I play regular live gigs, alt-country, drums and guitar: I've worn out the Yorkville 100 watt 15" combo I use as a monitor and DI, so time to upgrade...

But I've never had a head-cabinet rig before.
    I've already bought a Traynor 200 watt All tube head - the YBA200.
    Now I need a cab. I have my eye on a Aguilar GS212, for $300 canadian.

Questions: It's 4 ohm. The head can handle it, but is that a good thing?

And I see more players these days with single 12s, 10s etc. Is a 70 lbs. twin a relic, and is it too loud for small gigs - 100 people in a bar?

Thanks,
    Mike in Calgary

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    You're looking at a good cab. If your head has a 4 ohm tap/switch, yes you can use a 4 ohm cab without worrying about it. As for the single speaker/ cab thing, it's okay, and I'll take a single 15 cab for my smaller gigs these days. However, nothing moves air quite like a multi speaker cab when you have it on hand. I've gigged 100 person sized, and even smaller clubs with a 2x15 cab before, without killing the audience with excess volume in my past. You should be just fine with the Aguilar cab in question. You'll simply have a cab that can offer more head room, and move more air when you need it.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You'll be fine, and it'll sound great. Always better to have more speakers than you think you'll need, and a 212 is not crazy big anyway. No problem.

4. bluespenny

bluespenny

Mar 17, 2009
    And just to double check before I open my wallet - a 200 watt head isn't too small for a 600 watt cab?

Thanks.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    No, 200 watts will go a long way. Don't pay any attention to the underpowering theories. If you have an efficient cabinet, which the Aguilar is, 200 watts from the Traynor will be plenty loud. I've tried that head. It sounds pretty good. Just too heavy for me these days. But, I did fine for 10 years with a 200 watt GK head driving 1 or 2 Yorkville Sound cabinets. Never had any problems being underpowered.